Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bicornulate uterus and early viability scan

(5 Posts)
Gillian1980 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:08:55

Hi.
I'm 6 weeks today and seeing my GP on weds to tell her that I'm pregnant and have it confirmed etc.

I have a bicornulate uterus and I'm aware that there is an increased chance or miscarriage, particularly if the embryo implants on the septum.

Do you think it's likely that I will be offered or can request a viability scan rather than wait for the usual one? If it's implanted in the septum I'd rather know so that I can prepare myself for the possibility of loss.

Has anyone else got this anomaly and did you have an early scan?

If I can't have one on the nhs then I may go private for a scan to set my mind slightly at ease.

blackwidow74 Mon 15-Dec-14 18:27:43

If you want an early scan you are better off booking privately as there is no 'reason' to have an early one through midwife and you will wait until 12 weeks ... you won't get a viability % with a private scan but will see where the pregnancy has implanted, how far along you are and possible a heartbeat dependant on dates smile it is primarily a dating scan!

SilverStars Mon 15-Dec-14 19:45:42

I had one at 8 weeks on NHS with first pregnancy but was told only get 12 week one with second one - guess areas vary. My only comment is it is close to Christmas so may be difficult to get NHS scan when they need to fit in 2 week scans at a specific time for NT testing etc. I cannot have my 20 week scan on time as it is Christmas to new year time so not many appointments on offer. It is not as important time wise as the 12 week one though.

Gillian1980 Mon 15-Dec-14 20:03:05

Thanks. I've found a private clinic in my town who do it for £59 so I'll do that if need be.

TheScenicRoute Mon 15-Dec-14 21:00:02

My area was super compassionate and offered us 'reassurance' scans (for a completely different issue) even when we felt reassured already. Of course we took the scan they offered because we're were desperate to see them as much as possible in those first 12 weeks, so you never know, it might be a very simple request where you live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now