Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help please! Is this worth thinking about or am I just being stupid?

(8 Posts)
raspberrywhitechocolate Mon 15-Dec-14 01:35:44

Hi everyone,
not sure if this should be in pregnancy, or conception, or where. It's a tell-me-if-I'm-pregnant-internet-strangers thread, which is stupid I know but stuggling with tests as I'll explain. It's a bit long. Just need to know the likelihood or if I'm thinking about it too much from those who have been there as I haven't.
Bit of backstory... came off the pill immediately about two months ago after doctor told me that as I had a history of migraines my contraception method had to be changed (something to do with increased stroke risk which I hadn't known previously). Had been taking it for about three years. I was mostly on the pill to regulate periods as I would naturally have them not at all for two months, then twice in a month, etc. which obviously wasn't great and led to minor pregnancy scares a couple of times. Once coming off the pill I used condoms while deciding on mirena/implant etc. So never been unprotected necessarily and used to erratic periods. Which is why I didn't notice/care that it's been about 7wks since last period (start of Nov.? Have had two since coming off pill.)
Then, a few days ago I started gagging at a cup of tea. It smelled so floral and strong in a way I'd never noticed before. I was at a friends so put it down to her cups/tea bags/washing up liquid and ignored it. Then same happened again at home, with my own normal tea, cups etc. Can't drink tea, has that teaspoon had coffee on it bc I can smell it, has the cinema always smelled of paint? etc.
DP joked that I might be pregnant, and I laughed it off. Have since checked early symptoms on nhs online etc and can identify with six out of eight of them. Some are the obvious (nausea, tiredness, etc which to be fair could all be put down to crap sleeping pattern/worrying) and some I had been complaining of for a few days and hadn't thought relevant (I can smell EVERYTHING, but thought this was a later stage symptom. Off all food to extent of phoning up and complaining about a domino's pizza blush but hungry all the time. Bloated. Dizzy, irritable, strong metallic taste in my mouth for about three days now (?!))
Have now taken two cheap supermarket tests as I wanted to be sure so I could drink/not drink and know where I stand. First didn't work - no result at all, even in test window. Second said negative. I'm happy with this, but can't let it settle. Could it be a false negative? Or am I clutching at straws? We are in no way TTC and a baby would be a big difficulty atm so can't explain why I'm so convinced. I've had a couple of scares due to changing pills/irregular periods (two in last two years) but never been this convinced or felt this weird. Can anyone let me know similar experiences, reassure me of validity of test/tell me it's just hormones/anything? Worried I can't see the wood for the trees and I'm thinking too much.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 15-Dec-14 01:41:39

You may or may not be.
Sorry not very helpful! Wait a couple of days (if you can) and test again.
Good luck smile

raspberrywhitechocolate Mon 15-Dec-14 01:48:43

thanks mistletoe smile I know nothing can give me an answer but a test, just impatient and worried in the mean time. feel much better for the 'you may be' part - at least tells me I'm not crazy!

JustMuddlingBobBobBobbingAlong Mon 15-Dec-14 01:49:34

I have about 6 symptoms of pregnancy. I'm definitely not pregnant, in my 40's and sterilised. You say you had irregular periods and sometimes didn't haven for a couple of months. This could be your period settling again. You haven't had unprotected sex. A pregnancy test was negative. You seem to be getting yourself worked up. Take another test and as many as you need to believe it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant.

raspberrywhitechocolate Mon 15-Dec-14 01:53:42

Thanks JustMuddling, haven't had the missed periods for about three years now so need to get out of the mindset that no period = pregnancy again. I'll relax a bit then!

JustMuddlingBobBobBobbingAlong Mon 15-Dec-14 02:03:38

I know it's hard to stop overthinking it. I've been desperate to be pregnant AND desperate not to be pregnant, so I understand the needing to know that you are feeling. Test again and then sort out your long term contraception.

3luckystars Mon 15-Dec-14 02:08:27

If you can get your hands on a FIRST RESPONSE test in a pink box and use it first thing in the morning, or after not peeing for a few hours, you should get an answer then. Best of luck.

raspberrywhitechocolate Mon 15-Dec-14 02:13:49

Thanks everyone, I'll get onto a first response test tomorrow after work and try first thing in the morning tuesday and go from there. Hopefully I'll feel a bit better then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now