Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did stop taking Folic Acid?

(16 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Sun 14-Dec-14 13:42:17

I'm taking a high dose of 5 mg of Folic acid and a prenatal/pregnancy multivitamin, I'm 13 weeks tomorrow, when do I stop the folic? Thanks x

KeepSmiling83 Sun 14-Dec-14 14:27:26

I'm taking 5mg of folic acid too and have been advised to take it all throughout my pregnancy.

WidowWadman Sun 14-Dec-14 14:31:14

First trimester is enough, as that's when the development of the spine for which the folic acid is needed completes. Manufacturers of supplements of course recommend to take it longer because that means they sell more.

ClariceBeanthatsme Sun 14-Dec-14 14:39:01

14 weeks I think but if you are taking a pregnancy specific multivitamin then that probably contains folic acid too.

Bustherb Sun 14-Dec-14 21:30:50

My mw said it won't do the baby any harm to take it throughout pregnancy xx

Artistic Sun 14-Dec-14 23:34:21

Multivitamins already have Folic Acid. However we do take extra in the first 3 months only. After this point what's there in the multivitamin should be more than enough. Excessive supplements is not necessarily the best way. Same goes for iron, calcium, vitD - if there is a need then top up the supplements. Just had DC2 & done all this research...
Good luck!

Tranquilitybaby Sun 14-Dec-14 23:36:53

Thank you all. I know multivitamin have a small amount of folic acid in them but as I love been taking a high dose, I wasn't sure if I should just stop like that.

I guess my body will just get rid of any excess.

Who advised you to keep taking them keep and did they say why?

Discopanda Sun 14-Dec-14 23:40:18

With DD1 I took mine all the way through pregnancy and breastfeeding (via my Pregnacare) so doing the same this time round. You can stop taking it once you've had your first scan and out of the first trimester but folic acid has other benefits as well as helping the spinal cord form such as helping you form red blood cells.

Tranquilitybaby Sun 14-Dec-14 23:41:05

Thank you x

carbolicsoaprocked Mon 15-Dec-14 01:15:44

Been advised to take 5mg daily in addition to multi-vits throughout pregnancy by midwife, but I'm on medication for something else so higher risk of anomalies. I'd speak to your midwife about when to stop.

ToriB34 Mon 15-Dec-14 06:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeepSmiling83 Mon 15-Dec-14 07:35:37

My midwife advised me to carry on throughout my pregnancy. There has been a history of severe neural tube defects in the past in my family which is why I am on a higher dose. As someone said, your body gets rid of any excess so I would rather take it and be on the safe side than not.

GingerbreadPudding Mon 15-Dec-14 08:09:36

I stopped it at 13 weeks.

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 15-Dec-14 10:01:56

My midwife also advised to continue throughout pregnancy. She implied that that was the new guideline although wether this is true or just something she says I don't know. I took prenatal and folic acid throughout whole 1st pregnancy, I intended to do the same this time too. I'm 22 weeks now and still taking them daily.

LovedandLoyal Mon 15-Dec-14 12:58:38

I am taking a pregnancy multivitamin which has folic acid in it so will be taking it the whole pregnancy. I took it the whole pregnancy with DS too.

pinkie1982 Mon 15-Dec-14 13:14:46

I was told stop it after 12 weeks by my midwife

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now