Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Losing lots of hair in early pregnancy?!

(7 Posts)
Skinnylegs33 Sat 13-Dec-14 21:10:15

Hi,

Basically I've been losing lots of hair for the past 4 weeks or so.
I am 6w3d pregnant and with my previous pregnancies (both ended with mmc) I did not have this problem. I've actually shed a lot of hair after my first mmc (around November last year), so much that I became obsessed with thinning hair and used to cry about it every day. I then went to see my gp who ran some blood tests to check my thyroid, vit levels etc and everything came back normal.
Did not have any problems with my second mmc this may.

Basically I was wondering if anyone can relate to this? Losing hair in early pregnancy?
I thought it was supposed to get thicker, fuller and shinier and apart from worrying about how I'll look I wonder what is causing it and whether it's caused by my pregnancy or affecting it?
I've called my gp about it and he told me I should not try to read into everything or something to that extent confused

GingerbreadPudding Sat 13-Dec-14 21:44:17

Please don't worry. Mine did this too. It slowed down though me now I'm 33 weeks I'm losing a normal amount too.

WingsClipped Sat 13-Dec-14 23:25:18

I had terrible hair and nails in first tri. Chunks of hair falling out, nails flaking off sad was so worried something was wrong as that definitely didn't happen when I was pregnant with DD.

I'm 23weeks in now and hair is not falling out as much and nails are growing long and strong again. Hang in there.

teejayem Sun 14-Dec-14 00:03:15

Yep, my hair was falling out in handfuls esp in the shower during first 8-10 weeks. I had awful dandruff as well.

The thick shiny 'you're worth it' hair arrived last week. I'm still shedding a bit. To try and protect my scalp I used body shop ginger shampoo and didn't use any heat where possible (straightners etc)

wildfire613 Sun 14-Dec-14 01:11:49

Oh thank god. I thought it was just me. I found our 2 weeks ago I was pregnant. I had just finished dying my hair and my hair was shedding like crazy. At first I thought maybe it was the hair color but it's been going on for the last 2 weeks at least. And i have next to no hair to begin with so it scares me. I too had the notion my hair would stop falling out period and was worried. But I guess that's kind of normal only being 6 weeks and all.

trumpetmouse Sun 14-Dec-14 17:08:45

I've lost loads of hair too. I'm 11 ish weeks. It feels thinner to me, but I don't know if its because I'm inspecting it with so much more rigour than normal! I know we're told that pregnant women stop shedding their hair, but there are always exceptions. A friend of mine also lost more hair than normal when pregnant and she felt it thinned a bit (although it was not noticeable at all from my perspective). Hers grew back in abundance a few weeks after the birth... so hopefully we've nothing to worry about smile

Skinnylegs33 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:37:45

I certainly hope it's going to grow back, it just scares the s.. out of me as I've lost quite a lot of hair in my mid 20's while being on sertraline for many years. My hair never got back to its normal self since.
Honestly, right now I dont feel strong enough to check it in the mirror because I might start panicking. I just keep it in a pony tail but it still falls while tied back.
My desk at work is full of hair; it's everywhere, really embarassing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now