Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnancy rhinitis

(13 Posts)
secondtimeprego Sat 13-Dec-14 20:05:51

Anyone else suffering with this??? Any ideas what can help ease symptoms??? Getting little sleep due to stuffed up nose, constant sneezing and eye watering! Driving me crazy.

There really are some weird and wonderful pregnancy symptoms!

TheScenicRoute Sat 13-Dec-14 20:40:10

Oh yes! My eyes have been streaming constantly for over 2 1/2 months (I'm 29 weeks now). The side that I sleep on, that nostril is always blocked, but thankfully the other nostril usually remains clear. I don't sneeze as much as I did in the first 12 weeks, but still much more than I used to. It's very annoying, but compared to SPD and constant vomiting I thank,my lucky stars. The doctor has given me a prescription for antihistamines for the eye watering, but I have chosen not to take it because I take Omeprazole daily, and took more drugs that I can be bothered to list to prevent miscarriage in the first 12 weeks, my poor babies will be druggys when they arrive! Persevere with it, there's an amazing prize at the end of it all. X

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 13-Dec-14 20:42:23

How many weeks are you? Mine mostly cleared up after the first trimester both times.

eastcoastmum2014 Sat 13-Dec-14 21:06:04

I had it in the first trimester along with crazy sudden nose bleeds!! Its now just come back in the 3rd trimester! One of those crazy pregnancy symptoms that no one tells you about!! x

leanne963 Sat 13-Dec-14 21:15:20

Omg OP. I have had it sooooo bad! I have allergic rhinitis generally, but this pregnancy has kicked it up a notch. I am 17 weeks and I havery a disgusting red nose and get through a toilet roll e wry few days from sneezing lol! If you find anything to help I would be so grateful! All I want to do is have a lemsip and I caaannnntttt. Lol

TheScenicRoute Sat 13-Dec-14 21:19:24

Are nose bleeds associated with it as well? Oh yeah, I'm getting that loads and loads. The snot is like nothing I've ever experienced, but the blood clots... Blurgh

secondtimeprego Sat 13-Dec-14 21:54:16

I'm 18 weeks with my second and it started about 2 weeks ago getting worse all the time! I had it with my first but managed to forget all about it until it returned this time round. As far as my memory goes it lasted months sad & really does suck. Had no solutions first time round. I apparently look as rough as I feel too-server in my usual coffee shop asked me "u ok? Not looking too good today. Eyes all red and puffy!" (I actually made more effort than usual with my appearance that day too!!) Wish I was one of those mums to be who "glows" and really enjoys it---but thescenicroute, you are 100% right. It's totally worth it for the prize!

emzypoo Sun 14-Dec-14 05:30:16

I had this with my first in 2012 I feel for you its miserable. Eventually Dr prescribed me a saline nasal spray tht is safe in pregnancy its called aqua something. It cleared up In a day or two and I started to enjoy being pregnant. Go to the docs its only when I told them that I heard saline sprays are safe that the doc looked unto it further .x

MsDeedles Sun 14-Dec-14 13:04:20

I suffered badly in the late first and early second trimester. Told my consultant about it and he green lighted ceterizine (generic anti histamine)and flixonase and nasacort. Massive relief. Still sneeze and some watering but infinitely better than I was. No horrific headaches, insomnia, itchy face, earache and tears. He said that thet're not directly licensed for use in pregnancy but mostly because there would be issues around ethical testing in pregnancy and that the antihistamine in particular would be prescibed for itchy skin as well.

Talk to your HCP. The above very well may not be appropriate for you but something else may be.

TheScenicRoute Sun 14-Dec-14 21:23:03

Guys, when does it stop? Immediately after birth? A few weeks later?

missmakesstuff Sun 14-Dec-14 21:27:24

Beconase is fine to take apparently, went to docs because I get it every night and the weekends, due to my cats, who have never caused a problem before!
now to my next issue, the fact that I wet myself everytime I sneeze...now that's embarrassing!

leanne963 Sun 14-Dec-14 21:29:20

Beconase is fine?!!! Omg I used to use that for my allergies before I was pregnant, so it's good to use now?! Ahhh I think you just saved my sanity!!!!

NoRoomForALittleOne Sun 14-Dec-14 21:33:49

I have it too. I can't remember when it stopped in previous pregnancies but I do have some airborne allergies anyway. My normal hay fever/allergic response is worse during pregnancy. I used to take my own bedding if we stayed at my MiL's house because she always claimed to have put fresh bedding on the spare bed yet it was covered in cat fur. She was most indignant but I quite like breathing especially when I'm pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now