Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High ketones in urine..

(9 Posts)
Clemelan Fri 12-Dec-14 21:20:05

Wondered if anyone can help.. Today the midwife had to come check me cos I was unwell, she took a urine sample and said I had high ketones in my urine so she thinks it's a urine infection.. She told me to take another sample up to the hospital tomorrow and I should get my results & antiBs on Monday... I was a bit confused as to why she couldn't prescribe me antiBs to take straight away as last time I got them on the day.. So I googled ketones and it says about my body burning my fat stores for energy as I'm not eating as much as I'm burning and about diabetes, but nothing to do with urine infections!? Can anyone clear this up for me?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 12-Dec-14 22:36:04

when I had ketones I was told to eat more. Protein in the urine is normally linked to urine infection, not ketones

rubyboo2 Sat 13-Dec-14 09:54:59

Keytones - dehydration and lack of food . Have you bad sickness?

sarkymare Sat 13-Dec-14 19:08:59

Ketones indicate that your body is eating into your fat reserves. Ie you haven't eaten enough/been sick.
I had a HG pregnancy so had a level of 3+ ketones every time my urine was checked.

As far as I'm aware they have no correlation with infection.

sarkymare Sat 13-Dec-14 19:10:25

Forgot to add that I would expect any trained midwife to know this.

PotteringAlong Sat 13-Dec-14 19:12:43

I had ketones as I was being sick lots. I needed to eat and drink more.

momb Sat 13-Dec-14 19:20:22

Eat carbs. Replenishing carb/water stores should balance you out: you are being sent to the hospital to check for other causes but the main one is too few carbohydrates in the blood stream, which can be fixed by eating more. Have you been vomiting or is it likely to be dietary? The latter is easily fixed.

Bustherb Sun 14-Dec-14 21:39:07

I had the exact same thing on Thursday but I have been constantly sick for the last 4 weeks, as far as I was aware it's to do with dehydration and my dr has also sent my sample to the hospital. There's another marker on the thing they dip into the sample which shows infection, mine also came up and thinks there's an infection brewing but to wait for the results tomorrow xxx hope that helps xxx

Clemelan Mon 15-Dec-14 20:39:08

Thankyou for your replies. Turns out I have an infection (which I got antiBs for today) and she sent my urine off because of the high ketones.. I have suffered with a lot of sickness this pregnancy so that's probably the reason for that! With christmas just around the corner I'm sure I can 'plump' up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now