Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High glucose in urine?

(4 Posts)
eastcoastmum2014 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:56:51

Hi everyone, once again over worrying! Just been for 34 week check up with midwife. She says I have high glucose in my wee so I have to go back next week to have it retested after not eating sugar for a day! I had a GTT at 28 weeks and all was normal and I'm now 34 weeks! Also (probably not related but I'm naturally panicking about everything now) it took her a while to find the heart beat- though find it she did and it was fine... just normally it doesn't take them that long to find?!?! Does anyone else have experience of this? Im worrying sad

blackwidow74 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:58:44

Dis you eat soon before appointment? Happened to me in one pregnancy and turns out it was the late lunch smile

eastcoastmum2014 Fri 12-Dec-14 18:21:20

I took it just after breakfast but I had tea with no sugar and rice crispys... Although I did have a chocolate milk shake last night in the evening so could be that I suppose?? Im still a little worried by the fact they couldn't find the heart beat for a little while... would it just be baby's position (sorry first time being pregnant and scared by everything!!)

chiruri Sat 13-Dec-14 12:15:37

Not being able to find the heartbeat initially is almost certainly positional. At 34 weeks baby is pretty big and can turn into funny positions, making it tricky to identify exactly where to put the doppler. If they found it and the rate was normal then don't worry about it.
Anything that boosts your blood sugar above (I think) 10 can put glucose in your urine. That could simply be a poorly timed sugary or carbohydratey snack, or potentially diabetes. The chocolate milkshake the night before won't have had any influence, but your breakfast might have. Having glucose in your urine isn't going to harm the baby, so please try not to panic. The normal GTT at 28 weeks is very reassuring. Just go back next week as planned, and take care of yourself until then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now