Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I call the GP (20 weeks 24hr of not keeping even water down)

(10 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Fri 12-Dec-14 15:03:43

I've been lucky so far after 3 pregnancies plagued by severe sickness I've got to 30 weeks with number 4 with very little.

However since last night I've been vomiting every 15 mins since, I can't even sip water without it coming straight back at me, I can't even swallow saliva without it triggering another bout.

I can't risk bring admitted to hospital for dehydration, I'm currently administering DS's IV antibiotics At home every 8 hours.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Do you think if I call the GP they'd prescribe an antiemetic over the phone?

Seeline Fri 12-Dec-14 15:16:15

Are you sure it's not just a bug? there are an awful lot of sickness bugs around at the moment. Hope you feel better soon.

SomeSunnySunday Fri 12-Dec-14 17:03:37

Whether it's pregnancy sickness or just a bug, an antiemetic is probably a good idea if you feek at risk of dehydration.

You can buy ketostix over the counter in a chemist, and check your wee for ketones yourself. If you are dehydrated, you need to see a doctor - OOH / maternity triage? Or you could try your surgery before they close tonight (I did manage to get antiemetics over the phone at the start of my third pregnancy when I couldn't get to a doctor, but they were very familiar with my history and what I'd been prescribed in previous pregnancies). I suspect that unless you are terribly dehydrated they will prescribe antiemetics as a first step anyway, before they admit you. It's quite hard to get admitted to hospital with pregnancy sickness, I've only managed it twice in 3 pregnancies with hyperemesis.

In the meantime, have you tried ice cubes / lollies? These staved off the worst of dehydration for me when I had hyperemesis and couldn't tolerate water.

Titsalinabumsquash Fri 12-Dec-14 17:17:33

Thanks for the replies. smile

I don't think it's a bug, I never tend to get sickness bugs and this is that horrible, yellow bile that I got in previous pregnancies.
I only worry about dehydration because I can't even swirl water round my mouth and spit without hurling for a while afterwards.

Ice cubes are having the same effect. I can't even walk around without it starting again, I'm on the sofa bed with my 3 DCs, and a bucket, I'm still passing small amounts of urine so I'll assume I'm not too dehydrated, I am persisting with tiny sips of water even if comes back up it must help a little.

I spent ALOT of time in hospital with all 3 of my previous pregnancies p, with DS1 I was in more than out!

Oh well on,y 15 weeks to go.

Rhianna1980 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:26:02

Ring 111
You need professional medical help/advice . It is not something MN can advise you on.

Gunpowder Fri 12-Dec-14 17:46:48

Gosh definitely call GP/get an emergency appointment in the morning.

I was prescribed anti emetics in my last pregnancy, and although I was still sick, It was once or twice a day instead of twenty times, so much more bearable. The first dose was administered as an injection as like you I couldn't keep down any water.

There is a very supportive hyperemesis thread on here that has links to information you can show your GP if they are unsympathetic. It is no good for you or your baby if you are dehydrated, especially if you are looking after other members of the family.

Really hope you feel better soon.

LuckyLopez Fri 12-Dec-14 17:49:18

I can't work out if you're 20,25 or 30 weeks!

Titsalinabumsquash Fri 12-Dec-14 17:53:57

I'm 20 weeks, baby is being induced at 35 weeks.

The surgery wasn't accepting emergency telephone appointments when I called any they're now closed.
I'll call OOH in the morning if it's still going on.
DP will be home shortly to take over child wrangling duties.

Some sleep would be lovely.

Spellcheck Fri 12-Dec-14 17:54:40

Sounds identical to the bug I've got at the moment. Thick, yellow bile, can't keep water down. As you're pregnant I would ring 111 just to get some advice about rehydration.

kalidasa Fri 12-Dec-14 18:16:05

Have you got any jelly in the house? Can be worth a try for hydration when you can't tolerate water. If it carries on overnight you need to be seen tomorrow though. You could try calling your midwife/midwifery team if no luck with the GP. As you haven't had HG this time they will need to exclude other causes - could be a vomiting bug (you might be more vulnerable as you are pregnant, even if you don't usually get them) but also a UTI can cause bad vomiting in pregnancy and if you're pregnant you can sometimes get 'silent' UTIs which don't really show up in the ordinary way until you're really ill.

Really pleased you have avoided the HG this time though! Any ideas why? I am 33 weeks into HG pregnancy no. 2. Have been told I can't do it again even if I wanted to as too severe this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now