Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Blue cheese sauce??

(10 Posts)
Chickenfillets Fri 12-Dec-14 14:44:08

I know your not allowed to eat blue cheese during pregnancy but is blue cheese sauce allowed? I'm going to the harvester for tea and I absolutely love a big dollop of blue cheese sauce on my salad!

ShitHotAwesome Fri 12-Dec-14 14:46:55

You'll be grand.

littlemissy12345 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:32:11

NHS have changed their advice on blue cheese and if it's stilton like (i.e. hard) it's fine. It's only soft blue cheese your aren't allowed.

SueV14 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:36:53

Blue cheese should be fine as long as it has been cooked. This is a copy/paste from the NHS website:

"Cooked soft cheeses that are safe to eat in pregnancy

Thorough cooking should kill any bacteria in cheese, so it should be safe to eat cooked mould-ripened soft cheese, such as brie, camembert and chevre, and cooked soft blue cheese, such as roquefort or gorgonzola, or dishes that contain them. It's important to make sure the cheese is thoroughly cooked until it's steaming hot all the way through."

weeblueberry Fri 12-Dec-14 15:38:39

Oh goodness yes. And thank God I say grin

Zahrah5 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:10:00

how do you cook a cheese?

My husband got a big piece of blue cheese by mistake because he knows I love it.

I am not sure what to do with it. Would melting on a piece of bread in the oven count as cooking?

SueV14 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:14:14

As long as it gets pipping hot, I would assume its fine as the hear is supposed to kill the bacteria. So leaving it in the oven for a few extra mins should be fine. I made blue cheese risotto a few days ago and was eating it for 2 days... Now having an overkill and can't see any more blue cheese smile))

Smugnogplease Fri 12-Dec-14 16:16:40

I had a med rare steak and Stilton sauce at our local last night, 14 weeks pregnant and not worries at all. Baked Camembert with chilli and apricot jam and chopped nuts tonight, all hot and cooked through so fine

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 12-Dec-14 16:55:44

I doubt there's much actual blue cheese goes into that Harvester sauce, however delicious it may be! Mmm I want to come too!

Chickenfillets Fri 12-Dec-14 20:28:17

Thanks all! I drenched my salad in it grin yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now