Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need suggestions on what to eat

(7 Posts)
tuffgingernut Fri 12-Dec-14 11:24:26

Hi. I recently had a glucose tolerance test as bump is measuring 4 weeks ahead and I always have glucose in my sample. (I'm 32 weeks) Anyway, I am so relieved that it was negative smile. However, at this week's appointment I still had ++ glucose despite only having eaten a small bowl of porridge with only a little sugar in it earlier that morning. Midwife spoke to the diabetic midwife and suggested keeping an eye on things and cutting out all refined sugar and reducing carbs. I am managing to do this successfully but I need some healthy snack ideas. Especially items that I can take to work as I'm feeling quite hungry. My meals are good, they always have been. Also I miss a hot drink and a treat in the evening, any suggestions on low sugar options? Many thanks.

juneavrile Fri 12-Dec-14 11:34:18

m and s individual cheese sticks or babybels
nuts
half an avocado with mayo
raw broccoli and celery with hummus
chicken drumsticks
cauldron tofu pieces - I think, check sugar on info label

as for hot drinks, hot water with a slice of fresh lemon, slices of fresh ginger or fresh mint leaves are good and aid digestion too

if you're used to sugar, it may take a few days to adapt, but it happens quite quickly and will do you more good than harm in the long run.

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 12-Dec-14 11:45:56

I've went off tea entirely (dont drink coffee anyway) but I to miss a hot drink but I've been having hot water with a slice of orange in it. Very tasty and smells good too!

Snacks wise carrot sticks? If you have a fridge at work those m&s snack packs of prawns maybe?

tuffgingernut Fri 12-Dec-14 11:48:41

Thanks Juneavrile, babybel and nuts sound good particularly for a quick snack. I've eaten too much hummus recently and getting a bit fed up of it. I don't add sugar to drinks so that's not too much of a problem but I did enjoy the occasional hot chocolate. Does any one know if those low fat options/highlights are low in sugar?

tuffgingernut Fri 12-Dec-14 11:50:38

Thanks comeagain. Might have to have a trip to m&s. Hot water with orange sounds nice actually.

juneavrile Fri 12-Dec-14 13:54:19

You could make your own choc drink by putting a tsp of cocoa in a mug with a splash of water, microwave for 20 secs then stir in warm / hot milk with a splash of vanilla extract and a little sweetener or sugar. I've been making this with cold milk because I've gone off hot drinks.

Brands like options are made with sweetener and no sugar as far as I know.

Chatty987 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:41:57

I've just started managing my diet due to borderline GD after GTT last week.

Snacks I've been eating:
Nuts
Slices of ham
Roast chicken pieces
Houmous
Jacobs cream crackers (I find better than Ryvita re indegestion/blood sugar level)
Decaf skinny flat white (from Costa, etc) - if you like cofffee

Re your test after porridge breakfast - I have found (and seems similar with others from what i've read on MN) that glucose levels rise quite high after breakfast even after porridge. I thought I'd be fine with weetabix but it sent my results quite high. I've switched to 1 poached egg, 1 bacon and half a piece of toast which is better for the results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now