Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HELP! Reduced movement @ 33 weeks! midwife not offering check up!

(16 Posts)
tonto1981 Fri 12-Dec-14 07:45:18

Morning. Ive been up over an hour and a half and so far not felt baby move. Normally he starts wriggling shortly after I wake up. So Ive tried the cold drink trick and still no movements. although just had 2 minutes of hiccups. I have also recently started getting swollen feet in the last 10 days, and over last couple of days getting a headache, along with feeling exhausted (I just put those symptoms down to being 33 weeks pregnant!) but looking into it last night I was going to speak to midwife about getting my BP done just to rule out pre-eclampsia.
I called the midwife unit this morning and they said "its only been an hour, dont worry, we only worry if there is no movement over 12-24hours"
I follow the count the kicks facebook page and thought that any change in babies movements was something to be concerned about, and ring about. how long do i leave it before I ring again? am i over worrying or do i need to follow my gut that something isnt quite right?

thanks Ali xx

rubyboo2 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:06:34

Hi give it a few hours and ring back . I was in my Maternity Assesment unit on sat as my baby wasnt moving as much over a couple of days they asked me to go straight in .I am 31 weeks . I wouldnt have thought it was a problem for them, pester them ! ps is the Midwife unit the same as Maternity Assesment ?

angelopal Fri 12-Dec-14 08:07:06

Follow your gut. Can you ring your labour ward directly?

trilbydoll Fri 12-Dec-14 08:09:12

Have another cold drink or an ice lolly and lie on your left for an hour. If still nothing, just go in, they won't turn you away.

Jodie1982 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:48:01

I would just turn up Hun. Don't risk it, you know your babies pattern of movements. I was in at 27wks as I felt nothing all day, which is strange as my lil one is moving constantly, but as soon as I was hooked up to monitors he woke up! Hopefully your little one is having a lazy day.
Goodluck

Theyvallgone Fri 12-Dec-14 08:51:43

Ring straight back - any change in movements that you are concerned about should be investigated. Waiting 12 hours to do anything ... that really annoys me. If there was a problem it would need to be dealt with asap not in 12 hours :/

MulledWineMincePie Fri 12-Dec-14 08:55:48

ring straight back, or go to labour ward/A&E if they are not interested again.

I had slow/stopped movements at a similar time, terrified me, midwife said what others here said, I know the baby's movements, if changed, get monitored. As it happens, as soon as the monitor was put on my belly, he kicked the shit out of it for a good 5 minutes grin but they still monitored for a few hours anyway to make sure all was ok. They can then check out those other things going on at the same time.

mrshjb Fri 12-Dec-14 09:21:56

I am 33+2 and went to the hospital this time last week because I felt like he hadn't moved much. I have a triage number on the front of my maternity notes and also a booklet about reduced movement which my midwife gave me and that has a number to call on it as well. They got me to come straight in and I was on the monitor machine within about 10 minutes. He started moving almost straight away, but they were fantastic and really reassured me. When I left she said to come straight back if I am worried again, even if it's the next day. So my advice is ignore your midwife and go straight to the hospital, it's really not worth sitting at home and worrying!

NaiceNickname Fri 12-Dec-14 09:22:29

Go with your gut, I've been in twice with this pregnancy, last one only 2 weeks ago (and I'm due today!) as I was up literally all night worrying because he hadn't been moving that night like he usually does (night owl). I tried everything, but only got one gentle kick so I called first thing and was told to come in. As soon as I was hooked up to the monitor and the MW left the room he kicked me at least 10 times in a row hmm felt so daft! But as the MW said before I left - don't take any risks if things change again because all this means is that baby is okay today.

I'm sure everything is fine, I've found that every few days mine will have a lazy day and I'll only feel very gentle movements but the next day he will make up for it. You get to know what feels right for you and your baby and if not doesn't feel right then better safe than sorry - get checked!

northernlurker Fri 12-Dec-14 09:25:27

I agree. Call back. Point out you've been asleep so you don't actually KNOW when he last moved. Insist on being seen. They may roll their eyes at you literally or metaphorically. That doesn't matter. Just insist on being monitored and having your BP taken. Point out your swelling and explicitly say that you have a headache too,

TheTravellingLemon Fri 12-Dec-14 09:27:27

First of all, I'm sure everything is fine.

Did you call your midwife or the maternity ward at the hospital? I found I got much more reassurance from the maternity ward. I went in at least twice, but I had an anterior placenta so often couldn't feel movement.

I agree with the other posters. Get it checked out, if only because sitting there worrying will not help either of you flowers

butterfly86 Fri 12-Dec-14 12:39:13

I would ring the ward if you're worried I was in a few times for monitoring and they never made me feel silly the first time I went I was 32 weeks I told them I'd tried everything, cold drink, fizzy drink, chocolate, lying down but put off ringing when we got there the midwife said I'm not being funny but if baby hasn't moved come straight in waiting to see could make a difference if something was wrong and on the way out said if you need to come in every day for the next 8 weeks then do, I felt much better if I needed to ring after him saying that. Dd would always kick like mad once I got to hospital but better to be safe than sorry. Get yourself checked out!

tonto1981 Fri 12-Dec-14 22:10:17

Hi Thanks for all the responses! The first midwife I spoke to was at the hospital. by 9am with only 4 very slight kicks I called the community midwife, I explained that there is no point promoting 'count the kicks' if women are ignored, she totally agreed and advised me to go along to the hospital. Typically as i got there he did some good swooshy movements. Although whilst hooked up to the monitor spent the first 1/2 hr not moving and the midwife could see this on the little reading that they have print out. So she made me sit up more and jiggled him to wake him up. He did start to wake up and then had a better reading for the next half hour. The midwife was very reassuring.
Her advise that isnt it better to go in and have everything be ok, feel a bit silly for worrying. than sit at home, worrying, and have the unimaginable happen. She said its better to go in than ever have regrets about not going in or having left things to late.

thanks again for all the responses. Following your gut is definitely the way to go x

Jodie1982 Fri 12-Dec-14 22:17:08

Glad baby is okay Hun. X

butterfly86 Sat 13-Dec-14 08:51:29

Glad everything was ok and at least now you'll feel like it's ok to go in if you're worried x

TheTravellingLemon Sat 13-Dec-14 09:03:10

So pleased. Well done for going in. I swear I was there a lot in the last few weeks! I told you it would all be ok wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now