Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carpal Tunnel

(7 Posts)
purplebiro Thu 11-Dec-14 21:32:11

Hiya

I've had carpal tunnel on and off and quite mild (with slightly worse times) for about three years. I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and it has come on worse than ever before in the last week - is there anything I can do? It's always been mild enough for me not to worry about medicating or wearing supports before but I think I might have to consider it this time. Is there anything I can do to lessen it? I gather water retention in pregnancy makes it worse - how can I prevent/lessen that?

helloelo Thu 11-Dec-14 23:42:16

Hello and congrats!
I was quite lucky that I didn't start having CTS until a week ago (35w) but it is defo due to water retention, my ankles don't fit into my lovely low boots anymore sad i recognised the pins and needles immediately, put on my wrist support thing (that keeps it straight) for 48hrs and it went away. My MW said to watch for salt for a bit and drink draining herbal tea (ready made from organic brand). Probably didn't help that I'm nesting like crazy and turned into a knitting fanatic... Google the right position your wrist should be when on computer.
Good luck!

Slowdownsally Thu 11-Dec-14 23:46:18

I had horrible carpal tunnel and frozen shoulder during my pregnancy. My GP referred me for acupuncture which totally resolved it in 2/3 treatments.

I'd highly recommend it, even though I was deeply sceptical beforehand.

leoteddy Fri 12-Dec-14 00:12:55

I'm 28weeks and had surgery on mine last week. See your doctor so hopeful you can get it sorted before you get to the emergency decompression stage like I did!

Bilberry Fri 12-Dec-14 00:33:24

I had carpal tunnel but mine actually went in pregnancy. I used splints at night but eventually got them operated on. They might not be keen to operate on you if it is pregnancy related as they will hope it resolves itself. The operation is done under a local and I had one hand done at a time as it takes about a month before you can use that hand again.

MrsO12 Fri 12-Dec-14 01:38:25

Hi- congrats Mummies! I am coming up to 37 weeks and have had CPT since about 30 weeks. I have started wearing a support with a metal structure in at night, that seems to be doing the trick

purplebiro Fri 12-Dec-14 08:45:51

Thanks all - good advice here, will get a support and see how I get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now