Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will GP be sympathetic?

(13 Posts)
33goingon64 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:59:49

Am 8 weeks. Going to GP tomorrow as have been suffering not only with nausea but other symptoms including: dizziness & faintness especially when moving head but sometimes when still, intolerance of noise and sudden movement, waves of shaky feeling like when you're getting flu and have to lie down.

I'm not actually being sick - that's the bit I'm worried will mean GP won't be sympathetic. Just read Pregnancy Sickness Support site and I have all the symptoms described, just not the actual vomiting.

Anyone had success getting a GP to help?

Foggymist Thu 11-Dec-14 21:26:09

It could be low pressure, your gp is a crap gp if they aren't sympathetic just because you've no vomiting! What you describe don't sound related to morning sickness at all so I would say your gp would think it a good idea to get it checked out and find something to help it.

33goingon64 Thu 11-Dec-14 21:28:51

Thanks thanks thanks

JennyBlueWren Thu 11-Dec-14 21:32:51

Would echo Foggymist -doesn't sound like morning sickness but something else. Go in with your list of symptoms written down (I always forget something until afterwards).

HopeNope Thu 11-Dec-14 21:38:16

They must be sympathetic! What kind of GPs are not sympathetic? blush

LittleRedRidingHoodie Thu 11-Dec-14 21:56:14

Everything I've mentioned to my GP has been met with 'it's just one of those pregnancy things' depressing...

rubyboo2 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:10:21

Could be low blood sugar , try eating smaller regular meals . x

KentExpecting Fri 12-Dec-14 08:13:21

I had the exact same symptoms. My GP advised to wear a Baby on Board badge when leaving the house so that people know what's going on if I faint in front of them. Diagnosis was something like vascular instability and I was told it should pass by 16 weeks. It did pass by 20 weeks in the end.

PacificDogwood Fri 12-Dec-14 08:26:56

Of course they will be sympathetic!

Get checked out: yes, it could all be pregnancy related, or it could not be.
Get seen in RL.
thanks

mrshjb Fri 12-Dec-14 09:25:32

I went to my GP at 8 weeks because I just felt awful in so many ways (I wasn't throwing up either). He pretty much said that there was nothing that they could do because it was just the evils of the first trimester, but he did sign me off work for 2 weeks which was a real godsend.

If you have a decent GP I'm sure they'll check you out for all your various symptoms, but I definitely wouldn't worry that they won't take you seriously. If on the off chance your GP is a bit of an arse, I would just ask to see someone else!

bagofsnakes Fri 12-Dec-14 17:08:49

Sounds like super low blood pressure. I have pretty low blood pressure anyway and when I am pregnant it just plummets and makes me feel awful with very similar symptoms to those that you describe. I've actually passed clean out on more than one occasion! Luckily it seems to get somewhat better through the second trimester. Unfortunately, if it is low blood pressure, there isn't anything they can do, although making sure that you eat plenty and drink lots of water will help.

Worth going to your GP though as it could also be a middle ear infection.

BettyFriedansLoveChild Sat 13-Dec-14 08:21:38

Hi OP, did you get an answer / sympathy from the GP? I've suffered from the same thing in both pregnancies (had to take almost two months off in each first trimester as could barely leave the house), and was told that its just one of those pregnancy things by every healthcare worker that I mentioned it too. I felt like everyone thought that I was just being overdramatic about 'normal' morning sickness. It got better around 16 weeks. You have my sympathy x

33goingon64 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:56:42

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. GP was sympathetic and maybe no surprise I have low blood pressure - she took it after I stood up to compare and mine actually went down (should go up). Also blood tests next week to rule out anything else e.g. thyroid. She prescribed me tablets for nausea but then pharmacist advised me not to take them - obvs not tested on pg women but were actually 'contraindicated' in pg and had been harmful when tested on animals! So won't take the risk I think. Have felt much better today (am still up at 9pm!) so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now