Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pre packed sandwiches??

(20 Posts)
Pinkrach Thu 11-Dec-14 17:31:40

Ok, so having a little bit of a freak out and could do with some reassurance!

Today, I had a tuna melt panini in Costa coffee. Obviously it was heated, but it wasn't hot all the way through.

I've just read that in some countries the advice is to avoid pre-packaged sandwiches because of the risk of listeria. So wishing I hadn't eaten it as am getting myself worried. Pre-packaged sandwiches aren't on the nhs list of foods to avoid though.

Help to reassure me please sad xx

NaiceNickname Thu 11-Dec-14 17:35:52

It's a sandwich... Honestly, in the nicest possible way - chill out! There's enough to worry about in pregnancy without adding silly things like pre packaged sandwiches to the list! smile

mswibble Thu 11-Dec-14 17:36:51

Id say you are fine. The only ore-packed sarnies im reluctantly giving a miss are brie and cranberry, I myself had a Boots Triple today as I was starvin marvin - BLT, chicken salad and prawn mayo.

Findingthisdifficult1234 Thu 11-Dec-14 17:38:52

I've worried about this before!
Pre-packed sandwiches are fine smile

Chillyegg Thu 11-Dec-14 17:41:04

Well I've been eating pre-packed egg mayo or prawn sandwiches the whole way through my pregnancy! I'm fine! ....I actually can't stop thinking about prawns either however that aside I think your fine!

Pinkrach Thu 11-Dec-14 17:42:03

Thanks for the replies ladies- I wouldn't care, I've been SO careful this pregnancy. I'll try not to worry, but it's one of those things- once the seed is planted! Really need to stay off google sad xxx

Guyropes Thu 11-Dec-14 17:42:50

Just make sure you don't overdo the tuna....

Pinkrach Thu 11-Dec-14 18:23:35

Thanks guyropes- I won't overdo the tuna. This pregnancy malarky is so stressful- wish I could just wrap myself up in a bubble. Theoretically, I know I've probably got more chance of getting in the car and crashing, rather than contracting listeria, but I seem to worry about the 'rare' things more- it's exhausting sad xx

JennyBlueWren Thu 11-Dec-14 19:03:15

If I thought there was a risk of listeria I wouldn't eat a pre-packed sandwich even if I wasn't pregnant.

There isn't more chance of the sandwich having listeria now I am pregnant.

Therefore I still eat the sandwich!

JennyBlueWren Thu 11-Dec-14 19:03:49

Anyway tuna's disgusting.

Pinkrach Thu 11-Dec-14 19:07:30

Lol. To be honest it wasn't the nicest but I was starving. I have rationalised that some places list butter as a listeria risk and I haven't been avoiding that so it's probably a bit late to start worrying now. I am sure by next week I'll have found something else to stress about!! It's my first baby so I am probably being a bit over cautious- who am I kidding - PARANOID!! I am driving myself slowly mad!! Xx

m33r Thu 11-Dec-14 19:10:17

I worried avout this kind of stuff too and thought 'better safe than sorry' and was going to follow every guideline I read. It is exhausting and quite frankly impossible (if you're on the go a lot). I decided then and there to go nhs only! No other horror stories! inread somewhere fruit tea wasn't ok. It has really put me off and i'm so annoyed.

Pinkrach Thu 11-Dec-14 19:15:35

I know exactly what you mean- I had some ham and corned beef earlier in my pregnancy and later discovered that it is also on the banned list in other countries!! I think you're right about NHS only, but that little voice in my head keeps reminding me about all the info I've, unfortunately, read!! Xx

Zahrah5 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:19:37

Yes these are on the list of not recommended foods in other countries. I find UK giudance quite lax and follow US rules.
I overal try to avoid pre-made and more specifically with bacon, ham, prawn. But tuna should be fine.

If I have to have it I get them from places like Eat or Pret where they are made thorough the day.
I dont eat Boots, Tesco or M&S which are made in the night and stay all day in stores. But those I would not eat even if I wasnt pregnant, Im very picky about freshness.

Some places have guidance for pregnant women. I know Subway only advises tuna and meatball from their entire menu.

It is up to you what you choose to follow.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 11-Dec-14 22:57:56

I'm glad to hear that people are avoiding the brie and cranberry sandwiches and leaving them all for me grin

PerpetualStudent Fri 12-Dec-14 10:18:25

I've had American friends tell me the US rules are so much stricter because their food quality standards are basically crap - which is why they're told to avoid things like all pre-packaged meats and sandwiches, which us Brits can scoff with impunity!

I think it's about common sense, rather than hard and fast rules - mankey prawn roll in an isolated petrol station shop? Perhaps avoid. Delicious egg and bacon sandwich with long use-by date in a busy supermarket? Go for it.

For what it's worth, I've was travelling round London a lot for work in early pregnancy, and ate all manner of shop-bought sandwiches and coffee shop paninis (seriously, I'm now intimately familiar with the sandwich ranges of each supermarket and coffee shop! Quite sad) and have always been fine.

Really want a tuna panini now though....

TheScenicRoute Fri 12-Dec-14 12:14:39

I've guiltily eaten them near enough every lunch time since day one and I'm 29 weeks now. I agree with perpetualstudent above.

ItIsSmallerOnTheOutside Fri 12-Dec-14 12:29:23

I think the guidelines vary between countries because the food standards vary. Saying that I ate bleu steaks and soft cheese throughout my pregnancy so I'm a rebel!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Fri 12-Dec-14 12:38:44

Perpetual is right. Its down to food production and storage standards. NHS guidelines take into account all the foods that pose a real risk in the UK, where our standards for production and storage are particularly high.

Plus let's face it if you're ill you'll cost the NHS money so they aren't going to leave any real risks off their guidelines, are they.

Pinkrach Fri 12-Dec-14 13:38:48

Thanks for all of the replies ladies- you really have made me feel so much better!! You've no idea! I will definitely try to avoid Google in the future- for me it equals disaster and 3am Internet shopping to distract myself!! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now