Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fake nails/ shellac

(12 Posts)
tomanyanimals Wed 10-Dec-14 07:03:02

I am 38 +2 I would really like my nails doing for Christmas nail varnish is no good as it chips within the day wether I have it done professionally or myself, my concern is last time I was being rushed through for a section when ds decided to start moving down again so had a forceps, if I had nails on would it be a problem if I had to go to theatre I know from previous ops that you can't wear nail varnish would this be the same for the others? Midwife can't give me a straight answer as it depends on lots of things apparently. does anyone else have experience of it?

northernmummeh Wed 10-Dec-14 07:06:34

I had a manicure and minx pedicure before I had dd. I had an emergency section. It was the least of their issues and wasn't mentioned. They were more bothered I took all my piercings out blush

tomanyanimals Wed 10-Dec-14 07:23:55

is it sad how happy that makes me I just want something to make me feel a bit more me

Happilymarried155 Wed 10-Dec-14 07:49:59

I shellac my fingers all the time! I'm just going to make sure my toe nails aren't painted just in case! I think one or the other is fine! X

babyblabber Wed 10-Dec-14 10:36:02

I had an elective section last time and was told no nail varnish on fingers or toes beforehand. I also know a girl who had fake nails on and had to remove them while in early labour in case she ended up with a section.

I think the general rule is no varnish

tomanyanimals Wed 10-Dec-14 10:41:34

Oh poo really wanted a little pick me up for the family meal but knowing my luck I will end up going in that day or day after

quellerosiel Wed 10-Dec-14 10:49:55

Its not sad at all!! Having my nails done properly makes me blissfully happy and I don't care who knows it lol. If you're worried about how they will monitor your pulse with one of those little finger clippy things, just put it on sideways. My mum had an operation on a broken arm recently and they got a good enough trace sideways and said that was fine. They were the stick on kind you get from boots etc. I've also had a friend go in with acrylics and same thing, they just put it on sideways and were happy. These aren't sections but its an op so probably same difference?

Sorehead Wed 10-Dec-14 11:26:01

When I had my EMCS I was offered acetone to soak off my acrylic nails on two of my nails....that would have taken ages so I just offered to bite them off. I had previously heard that they can monitor on your toes but at the point they asked me about removing nails I just didn't care!

I'd get them done- in a proper emergency situation, they'd find a way around it (although mine was EMCS, it wasn't actually an emergency)

Number3cometome Wed 10-Dec-14 12:24:31

To be on the safe side, call the hospital and ask their policy.

I had an emergency C-section with a full stomach and nail polish on, second time I had a planned C-section and removed everything.

Usually your nails are checked when you have a sedated procedure, so they may insist, but always best to check.

Best of luck x

MuffinMcLay23 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:35:54

They clip a little probe on your fingertip to monitor your oxygen saturation and that doesn't work through nail varnish. Best to leave your fingers and toes nail varnish free. Its not really worth the risk of doing anything that might hampering them monitoring you in an emergency is it?

Number3cometome Wed 10-Dec-14 12:41:25

Sorry I should point out that the full stomach is not recommended - it did cause problems so I am by no means recommending that.

Always err on the side of caution x

Peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 10-Dec-14 12:58:21

Bring a bottle of pure acetone to the hospital (you can buy it in Poundland) just in case you need to soak a couple of nails off. The issue is being able to see the colour of your natural nails and also the oxygen clip. I would advise going for Shellac or gel polish rather than false nails/extensions (acrylic or gel) simply because it will be easier to soak off yourself and won't require buffing off etc. Go for something not too pigmented too.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now