Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and hungry all the time :( please help

(17 Posts)
Shasha123 Wed 10-Dec-14 04:00:59

6-7 weeks pregnant 5' 3" tall usually 50 kg weight but have been eating a lot these few weeks so gained 2 more kilos and now 52. Since I got pregnant I feel hungry all the time. Today it's 3:00 am and I couldn't sleep thinking of food all the time, got up from the bed and ate a lot. Is it normal? How do I stop this? I feel disgusting after eating. I cycle to work, working full-time job, always keeping myself busy but whenever I have a minute I start thinking about food and actually eat whatever and how much I want. This is not normal for me, started about 2-3 weeks ago. I don't want to continue this habit. Please help.

furtivefeline Wed 10-Dec-14 04:32:19

Same here (am up eating toast) so no advice but was the same in previous pregnancy so think it's probably normal for some people. I didn't end up gaining much weight overall. Am normally a busy person and enjoy exercise etc but IMHO 6-7 weeks pregnant is a good time to take it easy!

LittleRedRidingHoodie Wed 10-Dec-14 05:49:00

I put on a tonne in the first trimester as I was just starving all the time. I have slowed down now though! I used to scoff lots of fruit, dried fruit and salady stuff to try and calm it down a bit. I think you might just have to go with it and worry about the weight loss the other end.

tomanyanimals Wed 10-Dec-14 06:42:18

Sorry no help I'm 38 weeks and have been like this all the way through I've put on quite bait 5:4 was 56.9kg now 81kg but I am a huge bump no weight on really anywhere else until this last week when I have retained water in my legs I wouldn't worry to much to be honest my midwife just said you must need it and I am still a healthy bmi even if I wasn't pregnant and weighed this much.

SoMuchForSubtlety Wed 10-Dec-14 06:46:30

It might not be normal for not-pregnant you but lots of things change when you're pregnant. I was starving during pregnancy.

Normal healthy weight gain during pregnancy is 1-3 stone according to my midwife. Which can vary from woman to woman in terms of when you put it on. In other words all the "standard weight gain" calculators on the internet are bullshit. You need to gain weight to have a healthy baby, and the appetite is your body telling you that.

Make sure you have lots of protein and lots of vegetables for the vitamins/minerals. If I ate healthy things I found it sated my appetite better.

GnomieGrace Wed 10-Dec-14 07:27:27

I'm 5'4" and out on 2.5 kilos in first 16 weeks I was constantly starving too, fruit and low fat yogurts helped me!

Psmith83 Wed 10-Dec-14 07:49:40

Don't worry about eating OP, but do think about what it is that might fill you up. My diet changed quite a bit- I now have lots of yogurt, thick smoothies and peanut butter.

ChickenMe Wed 10-Dec-14 09:50:00

Sounds like you're quite active and busy. Looking back, the first twelve weeks you can get very tired and need to keep eating for energy. Think too that this is the time a lot of really important stuff is happening. So no wonder you are hungry. If you're not feeling sick yet go for lots of protein-make the most of it before you can only face eating potatoes!! Some of your gain is water-I was so bloated at that point.

mrshjb Wed 10-Dec-14 10:16:56

I'm 33 weeks and to be honest the constant hunger has never left me! Before being pregnant I wouldn't be massively bothered if I was hungry and would just wait for the next meal, but since being pregnant if I don't eat within about 10 minutes of starting to feel hungry I get stomach pains and start to feel really ill. There is no way a little salad or anything like that would fill me now so I have had to eat pretty hearty portions as well as snack quite regularly.

I have always been slim (booking in BMI was 20) but I've piled loads of weight on in pregnancy. I'm just really hoping that I can lose it pretty fast because I have had the odd minor meltdown whilst looking in the mirror!

Good luck smile

AdamLambsbreath Wed 10-Dec-14 13:34:37

Just eat smile

I ate like a beast for the first two months. It was like my substitute for morning sickness. It's perfectly normal and not disgusting, you're pregnant. At 5' 3'' and 50 kilos to start with your BMI's only about 19.5, so you can happily gain quite a few kilos and still be in a normal, healthy weight range.

I'd just recommend stocking up on good foods that you like to eat and are relatively healthy and filling. Otherwise the hunger can come on very quickly and drive you to the garage for a Ginster's wink

Mine eased off at about 12 weeks, and my appetite is a lot more measured now, though I do eat very regularly and can't wait for 'normal' mealtimes.

muddylettuce Wed 10-Dec-14 21:32:32

Oh my goodness, listen to your body and eat! Honestly! You WILL put on weight in pregnancy but it WILL disappear afterwards. It's pretty normal to want to eat constantly in the first trimester, its a pretty busy time for your body, you are growing a baby after all! It will tail off in the second trimester and by the third you'll have no bloody room in there for much food anyway.

Jaffakake Wed 10-Dec-14 21:50:41

Your body is gearing up for a major task & needs fuel. At the start of my first of I was up at 4am hungry & couldn't go back to sleep till I did. A simple glass of milk or a cream cracker would do the trick. I simply can't eat brunch bars anymore cos I consumed so many! Overall I put on a couple of stone, but lost it all again afterwards.

This time I've got up hungry twice in 24 weeks. Again, ive been eating all sorts I probably shouldn't (it's my last chance!) but I've been listening to my body & haven't totally pigged out & have put on relatively little.

My message is, please don't panic. Listen to your body. Go with it & be kind to your body. Milk, crackers, brown toast & fruit are your new best friends!

Chunderella Thu 11-Dec-14 10:54:28

If you're hungry, just eat. As healthily as you can manage. Also I don't want to scare you, but you've not yet reached the peak point for nausea and low appetite. Some women's bodies try and get them to load up on the calories while they can, then have a few weeks not managing very much at all.

TimefIies Thu 11-Dec-14 11:25:21

Just eat. Eat whatever your body tells you to - it knows what it needs, that's why you get such strong cravings. It usually calms down after the first trimester. Don't worry about eating differently or more than you used to.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 11-Dec-14 11:36:00

As others have said, this is entirely normal. Hunger is much better than sickness and nausea!

I think pregnancy is a difficult transition for lots of women, particularly with regard to food and diet. You say you feel disgusted - try remember that food is fuel. You are growing a new human being, preparing for labour and storing up fat to help you to breastfeed. You need the energy. Try eat healthily (ie more fruit than cake) of course, but remember that it's ok to eat cheese and carbs, things lots of women restrict in order to stay slim.

Congratulations. I'm 12 weeks now and feeling much much more normal.

baby5ontheway Thu 11-Dec-14 14:33:33

All I could do in the first tri was eat, and after 2 years of hardly eating anything to wolfing anything in sight meant I put on half a stone in the first 10 weeks, so when I had my booking appt I was that much heavier so she had to write that as my starting weight (even tho it really wasn't).

Anyway at my 12 week scan I had put on another 5lbs, so nearly a stone in 12 weeks, 19 weeks now and I'm still the same as I was at 12 weeks. I think the hunger is your bodys way of telling you what you need, its very clever smile

Just go with it, do what your body is telling you, your doing great!

33goingon64 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:45:46

Your growing baby is taking everything it needs from you. If you ignore your body's call for food you will not be able to support yourself and you could get very ill. It's quite normal to crave odd and unhealthy foods at this stage. I never normally eat crisps or pot noodles and I've been gorging on them all week (8 weeks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now