Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Whooping cough case at work...

(5 Posts)
krogers90 Tue 09-Dec-14 18:47:39

I'm 15 +1 weeks so too early to have had the whooping cough vaccination, but found out today that a lady at work has whooping cough - should I be worried? I'm going to ring my GP in the morning for some advice but was wondering if anyone could put my mind at ease in the meantime! Are there any risks for unborn child? My immune system isn't great and I'm worried that if I get it I'll get really poorly and the baby will suffer. Thanks

FoxSticks Tue 09-Dec-14 18:51:20

I might be wrong but I'm sure the nurse told me that the vaccination was to give the baby immunity for the first few weeks until their 8 week jabs. I think the jab is to protect baby once they are out so they should be fine whilst still inside you.

JennyBlueWren Tue 09-Dec-14 19:06:37

Best to check. You can find out online about any risk -somethings affect you at certain stages of pregnancy, although sometimes you have natural immunity. At work (a nursery) we have a booklet of common illnesses, incubation periods etc and whether it's a problem at what stages of pregnancy.

rubyboo2 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:24:26

Hi you can have the vaccine at 28 wks , this will protect the baby up until its first vaccinations . Thats what my midwife told me . x

cantmakecarrotcake Tue 09-Dec-14 21:50:59

Did you have the vaccine as a child? If so I don't believe there's any risk to you or your baby as you should still be covered by your childhood vaccination.

As others have said, the intention of the 28wk vaccine is to bridge the gap between birth and baby's 8wk vaccinations. It's not intended to cover baby in utero.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now