Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Your ideal 'pregnancy friendly' food hamper would include.... help please!!

(21 Posts)
af2000 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:52:43

I would like to put together a Christmas hamper for my brother and sister in law who are expecting a baby next year. My brother in law is a real foody so I will have no trouble putting things in for him but they will mainly be wine and mouldy cheese. I need some pregnancy friendly ideas for lovely foody things my sister in law can enjoy too..

However, since having my baby earlier this year I seem to have entirely blocked out forgotten what it was like being pregnant and what tasty and indulgent foods I could/couldn't have. So lovely pregnant ladies, if you were to receive a 'pregnancy friendly' food hamper what would you love to see in it?!!

Thanks in advance for your help grin

KittyandTeal Mon 08-Dec-14 19:55:38

Cheese and onion crisps and moaom strips grin

ILiveOnABuildsite Mon 08-Dec-14 19:57:42

Something nice and a bit indulgent she could have with a cup of tea in the afternoon maybe? Maybe something a bit filling because that's when I needed to fill a whole, particularly in 3rd trimester? Something like a nice flapjack, I like those that have a creamy layer of yogurt on top, not sure where you get them though.

September60b Mon 08-Dec-14 20:01:54

Not sure about anyone else but I can't get enough cake at the moment! Maybe a nice pannatone or box of biscuits? Something nice and non alcoholic to drink too?

Lovely idea btw!

bakingmad83 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:36:26

Some fancy hot chocolate and luxury dried fruit - I'm chocolate mad at the mo and have always liked dried fruit, though know it isn't everyone's cup of tea

DustOffYourHighestHopes Mon 08-Dec-14 21:10:55

Some nice cheese that she can eat - such as manchego with quince paste.

birchwoods Mon 08-Dec-14 21:29:45

Bottlegreen cordials, elderflower etc...

LuckyAugust Tue 09-Dec-14 09:27:48

I wish I had a sister in law like you- what a lovely present idea! Some good suggestions here. xx

saiyme09 Tue 09-Dec-14 09:36:04

Cake or Biscuits! Literally can't stop thinking about either! Especially short bread biscuits!
I've also replaced my previous love for proper cheese with baby bells and cheese strings. That's probably not very helpful though.... So how about a nice chutney? I can't stop with the cheese and pickle sandwiches..or pickled onion crisps much to my lovely partners disgust!

saiyme09 Tue 09-Dec-14 09:37:30

I also think this is a really lovely idea by the way! And I'm sure she'll really appreciate it!

LittleRedRidingHoodie Tue 09-Dec-14 10:01:53

Definitely fizzy drinks that can replace booze - waitrose sell nice looking bottles of rose lemonade etc which definitely lessen the misery of a baileys/wine free Christmas.

ChickenMe Tue 09-Dec-14 10:13:16

Salt n vinegar crisps!!!
Nuts and dried fruit (constipation lol)
What a good idea. There are a lot of special non alcoholic drinks around at the moment what with Xmas. Ones you don't normally get. Defo get chocolate as I have been obsessed with choc for weeks. Nice teas? A bottle of bubbly for when it's born?
What about some posh ready made pasta sauces/similar that they can put in the cupboard and have for emergencies after it's born? (No not Vesta curries(

cogitosum Tue 09-Dec-14 10:17:34

Many blue cheeses are fine. A good Stilton is ok.

Nice crackers and chutneys. I loved fiery ginger beer when pregnant. Nice chocolates.

Rumplestrumpet Tue 09-Dec-14 10:19:40

I share the chocolate obsession, so if you can find that divine melting hot chocolate then go for it. And those gorgeous triple layer biscuits (shortbread, caramel, chocolate). Ahhhhhhh
And some nice jams - there are some lovely sugar-free (and aspartame-free) ones like Saint Dalfour (only only has natural sugars, so counterbalances all the afore-mentioned sugar!)

And there are actually still plenty of cheeses she can eat, it just takes a bit of questioning at the deli counter.

Such a lovely thought. I wish someone would do that for me!!

cogitosum Tue 09-Dec-14 10:30:36

Oh dear, 'nice' used twice! blush

fattycow Tue 09-Dec-14 10:44:00

Cheese made from pasteurized milk is fine. Brie sold in the supermarket is from pasteurized milk (there are very few that aren't), so she can enjoy those!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 09-Dec-14 11:13:12

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/rochester-organic-mulled-berry-punch-drink-60081072?istCompanyId=8b7eb14d-bd9c-4f8a-aec2-4349bbabb5a0&istItemId=irrirlipl&istBid=tztx&gclid=CJzBtufauMICFUoUwwodr4MAPA

This stuff is amazing. I couldn't have fizzy stuff because of the heartburn

Smoked salmon or gravadlax
Quails eggs - you kind of have to eat them hardboiled.
Pasta sauces from Carluccio's. They do a black olive paste which is amazing with garlic bread too.

af2000 Tue 09-Dec-14 13:26:39

Thanks everyone! brilliant suggestions.. I think I want a hamper of my own now too.. perhaps I will do two grin

GailLondon Tue 09-Dec-14 14:30:12

Yum!
I'd have some high quality chocolates and some nice strong vintage cheddar in there

Roxie85 Tue 09-Dec-14 15:20:29

I loved salt and vinegar squares! And yes to lots of cheeses. Just check for pasteurised and all will be fine.
I was a bit stupid when I was pregnant and did a whole 'I can't eat all these cheeses' speech and then realised towards the end that it was ok as long as they were pasteurised. I couldnt bare looking silly and going back on my mammoth speech though so I went without (this will not be happening if I get pregnant again - I have also realised that after going through labour and caring for a child it is no longer easy to become embarrassed or feel stupid)

Babiecakes11 Tue 09-Dec-14 20:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now