Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

X-ray at Dentists whilst pregnant?

(12 Posts)
BingoBonkers Mon 08-Dec-14 17:34:40

Would you have an X-ray whilst pregnant? I'm just over 13weeks and really suffering with my teeth. Think the dentist may ask about taking an X-ray in an attempt to get to the bottom of it.

WWYD?

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 08-Dec-14 17:37:16

If you say you are pregnant I don't think the do X-rays, or do any work on filling if they are silver ones.
I couldn't get an X-ray to get my wisdom teeth out until after the baby was born.

Naughtyornicename Mon 08-Dec-14 17:37:23

I'd ask the dentist tbh. I think you are not supposed to haxe x rays, or maybe they give you a led tabard?

EssexMummy123 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:43:50

I had one before i knew and it was fine, seems the dosage is a lot lower and obviously they are only doing your mouth - think the dentist will decide if it's ok or not.

tiggy2610 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:44:26

Think it depends how badly you needed an x-ray, they would avoid it if at all possible but if you needed urgent dental treatment and it was necessary they can drape a led vest over abdomen. I think they especially avoid it during first tri but the amount of radiation pointed at your mouth is tiny, if you did NEED one I wouldn't panic.

jmojo Mon 08-Dec-14 17:58:28

Generally they will avoid xrays whilst you are pregnant. But as with all things they weigh benefits against risk. I would avoid in the first trimester, even with a lead coat. If things are very severe there are alternatives like MRI although i am not sure a dentist would necesaritly refer for that. I would think he would wait until your 2nd trimester when the baby is at least formed.

LIG1979 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:04:10

The dose to the baby from a dental x - ray is pretty small but they would still balance the risk against the benefit of the scan. If they can wait until after the baby is born they will.

ClearlyOpaque Mon 08-Dec-14 19:30:23

I registered with a new dentist when I was about 6 weeks pregnant. As part of my checkup, she did routine X-rays. I wasn't covered in a vest and yes, she did know I was pregnant. I didn't question it at the time, but googled it afterwards and the doses are so low it's not considered any kind of risk. I'm now 14 weeks and all is well.

CherryLips1980 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:31:22

My friend is a dentist and at my appointment (Friday just gone) he refused to do any 'just in case'. I'm 21 weeks now.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 08-Dec-14 20:33:50

I couldn't persuade any dentist to do one until after my baby was born.

Mrsmorton Mon 08-Dec-14 20:38:02

It is genuinely risk vs benefit. If we can do an x Ray and fix you, it's worth avoiding being on antibiotics and painkillers for nine months. That said, it's possible to diagnose most issues without x Rays. You wouldn't take out wisdom teeth without them (and MRI isn't very useful when dealing with hard tissues like teeth and bone) but you can usually buy time with most toothaches without x Rays.

BingoBonkers Mon 08-Dec-14 20:44:34

I'm on antibiotics. Ten days worth. Pain is on and off. Really want to get this sorted. Dentist said he can't do anything til the pain has gone because the nerve is hotwired. Tried to do what he needed but the pain was hideous. I don't want to take more ABs than I have to and I'm already thinking ten days is more than enough. Next appt is in a few days so am really hoping he can do what he needs to temporarily tide me over til post birth.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now