Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone know anything about shortened cervix?

(7 Posts)
ots Mon 08-Dec-14 17:11:56

I had LLETZ treatment in May 2013. Just the one treatment following a severely abnormal smear. There were 3 affected cells so the colposcopist said she only removed a very small area.

I'm now 14 weeks pregnant and my midwife referred me to a consultant to be on the safe side. I saw her today and she checked my notes and said that 14mm was removed, so she has booked me a scan to check the cervix. Has anyone had any experience of this? Is 14mm a lot to have been removed? Also is it just a normal abdominal scan or an internal?

LittleRedRidingHoodie Mon 08-Dec-14 17:17:44

I had the same and had scans up to 20 weeks to check cervical length. They're checking it's not prematurely shortening which can lead to early labour. I was fine and at 20 weeks they stop scanning because no risk found and it's too late to put a stitch in after this.

If your cervix got too short they put a stitch in the bottom to keep it from opening early. They take the stitch out closer to your due date.

donkir Mon 08-Dec-14 17:21:40

Hi otz,
I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and I had 2 lots of LETZ treatments and am still on yearly smears. My midwife referred me to a consultant at my booking in appointment. I had to have an internal scan at 16 weeks and at 22 weeks where they measured and compared the length. Anything over 3cms is classed as normal which mine was both times. If it is under then they will likely monitor you or they could put stitch in.
Because of the LETZ it made my cervix a bit mushy so it meant slight bleeding after sex or any internal examination was normal for me. Obviously if it happens to you get it checked but don't worry to much.

ots Mon 08-Dec-14 18:24:32

Thanks for replies smile littlered were your scans internal too? I'm so nervous about having an internal scan as I had one in my last pregnancy at 6 weeks (all was fine) and another at 8 weeks, both due to bleeding. At the 8 week one it showed the baby had died at 6+1, the day after the first scan. I know they say they are safe but its always worried me that thats why the baby died.

LittleRedRidingHoodie Mon 08-Dec-14 18:55:31

I can see why you've made a connection but there is simply no way an internal scan could do this. They scanned me internally and they always said 'you can't come fir a scan and not see baby' and they'd give me a normal tummy scan too. I felt really lucky to have seen our little one so many times!

ots Mon 08-Dec-14 19:16:00

Thanks, thats quite reassuring. When I've got my sensible head on, I know internal scans must be safe or they would have found another way by now. I hope we get to see baby again, my next normal scan isn't til 19th Jan, seems ages away!

donkir Mon 08-Dec-14 19:20:57

Same here they also did a normal scan too. At the 22 week one we were last appointment of the day so she had a bit of time and switched it to 4d it was amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now