Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

36 wk apt to discuss ELCS, what should we ask?

(9 Posts)
noitsachicken Mon 08-Dec-14 08:45:48

Have my appointment with consultant today at 11am.
hoping for an ELCS, don't see it being a problem getting one as it is already written in my notes etc.
But what should we ask?
I have thought of....

How long will we have to stay in?
What problems may arise?
What happens if I go into labour before date of CS?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

fishfingerSarnies Mon 08-Dec-14 08:48:51

Not sure but watching with interest as hoping for elecs this time too. Would love to know how the appointment goes and what to expect.

noitsachicken Mon 08-Dec-14 09:09:15

Will let you know fishfingers

PrincessOfChina Mon 08-Dec-14 09:19:10

Have you already met and discussed your choice with a consultant? I had an appointment at 20 weeks where we had quite a heated discussion but she agreed anyway.

After the conversation she admitted it was her way of playing devil's advocate to make sure I really understood the risks. They will certainly make you aware of the risks involved. I would prepare for that and save the questions you have above for your midwife.

Number3cometome Mon 08-Dec-14 09:24:10

I have had an emergency section and elective (although forced) section. I would ask how long you will be in hospital, where you will be in the queue on the day, what you should do to prepare ie stop medication, when not to eat. Also clarify how long you cannot eat for and general aftercare.

VertdeTerre Mon 08-Dec-14 09:31:23

IME a lot of the logistical stuff about the op (eating, when it will be done on the day, where to report on the day) was covered in the pre-op appointment a couple of days before the op, at which they also swab you for MRSA and give you antacids to take before the op. I would use this consultant appointment to discuss any concerns you have about the op itself and the recovery.

What happens if you go into spontaneous labour is a great question, make sure you get the agreed answer to this written in your notes.

CorporeSarnie Mon 08-Dec-14 09:32:50

You may want to ask about the planned structure of the day, recovery, what options there are re anaesthesia, cord clamping, skin-to-skin (immediately after birth, in recovery room).
Good idea to ask re early spontaneous labour, as that caught me first time (planned ELCS due to breech presentation, failed ECV, spontaneous, fast labour and EMCS).
Finally about the implications for any subsequent pregnancies (if your family is not yet complete).
Good luck and enjoy the newborn cuddles.

noitsachicken Mon 08-Dec-14 14:47:56

Thanks everyone.
I think we covered all this!
The consultant was great, really happy for us to do whatever we wanted. Had to fill in consent forms etc today, and booked in for my 39th week, we won't know exactly when until the week before.
Saw midwife as well, did MRSA swab and given all the pre-op info, I don't need to go in again until the day now!
Feeling quite happy and relaxed at the moment, but I expect that will change in a few weeks!
If I go into labour I am to go to delivery suite asap for assessment, and depending on how far along I am will either have a c/s or go for VBAC if too late. I am happy with that I think, as long as it's not Christmas Day!

fishfingerSarnies Mon 08-Dec-14 15:17:39

Glad it went well and good to know they we were supportive of yoyr decision.
Good luck with everything. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now