Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Acute Urinary Retention 15 weeks

(11 Posts)
applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 04:35:12

Wondered if anyone else suffered with this? Am in A&E for the second time in six days and have had to have a catheter in again, which I now have to keep in for two weeks, whilst they try to work out the cause sad

giraffescantboogie Mon 08-Dec-14 04:44:25

What a nightmare! sad

juneavrile Mon 08-Dec-14 18:49:56

I had to go to a&e once. Had a catheter for a few days and then it was okay. Was taught to self catheterise in case it happened again.
It happened because I have a retrovertrd uterus and it was squashed in early stages of pregnancy, to the point that it blocked urine. This isn't uncommon, but my hospital weren't familiar with it -I just found a load of women with same problem online. Eventually the uterus pops the other way and all is released.

applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:23:43

Thanks Juneavrile, good to know I am not the only, have been referred to a consultant so fingers crossed he/she will be able to tell me why it's happening, really don't want this for the whole pregnancy. Am hating the catheter and am only on day one sad

applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:24:54

Do you remember at what stage in your pregnancy it resolved itself?

3littlefrogs Mon 08-Dec-14 20:27:18

Are you constipated?
A loaded rectum is a common cause of retention.

applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:38:41

I was the first time but not this time, which is why I am being referred

juneavrile Tue 09-Dec-14 07:31:15

Hi apple - I think it was okay at about 10 weeks. I had the catheter for five days and found it very hard. I' m sorry to say that it gave me a uti, so had to take penicillin to clear it up. Worth getting tested when yours is removed as it's all too common. The test was the two day version, not the dipstick. Still, I'd've been fine since.
It's worth asking if you have a retrovertrd / tilted uterus.
Two weeks is a long time to wear a catheter, is yours comfortable? A&E fitted mine and it was not done that well and it was pretty small. The urologist made a few adjustments that made it notably better.
Hope you're not too low.

juneavrile Tue 09-Dec-14 07:33:51

Btw, it was never really decided what caused it. One dr said hormones, the other that it was just squashed.

applecore0317 Tue 09-Dec-14 08:32:41

Thanks Juneavrile, not comfortable at all sad am hoping someone can see me this week,will ask about the tilted/retroverted uterus and hope that I I do have to keep it in longer that they fit me with something better.

Thank you smile

applecore0317 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:57:11

Consultant thinks that my uterus was stuck in my pelvis and had now flipped out, he has removed the catheter and wants to see how I manage now, have the numbet for his secretary if any problems and out of hours I have to contact the gynae ward, thanks for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now