Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks and really itchy!

(20 Posts)
Bimberley Sun 07-Dec-14 14:06:26

Hello.

I'm 32+3 and have been fairly itchy during this whole pregnancy. I can never get comfortable.

However these last two days, I have been itching so bad. It's mainly my back, but everywhere is itching! I'm so uncomfortable and it's disturbing my sleep now.
Has anyone had this?

I have read about the condition which affects your liver but honestly don't think it's as bad as that.

Thank you! grin

minipie Sun 07-Dec-14 14:52:43

It's worth getting checked for the liver condition, it's a quick blood test I believe, as it can be very risky for the baby if you do have it... not to worry you but just worth getting checked out!

dayspringjubilee Sun 07-Dec-14 15:43:13

I'm 34 weeks and have been pretty itchy the whole time, especially boobs very early on. Also legs and bump get pretty itchy, and in the past few weeks even scalp. However, I get no itch in hands and feet, which is the warning sign. Found it hard to sleep last night between itching and restless legs - tried putting on some lotion but that just made me clammy. hmm

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 16:06:26

I am 32 weeks and have just been diagnosed with obstetric cholestasis, the liver condition you mention. I was itchy, but not ridiculously so, and it was mainly my arms to start off with. (The thing about it only being ur hands and feet is a red herring, mine haven't itched at all).

I would definitely advise you to call your midwife. it is a quick blood test and takes 5 mins. There are some risks to baby that need to be closely monitored if it is OC, so is really important to get it checked.

hollyangel Sun 07-Dec-14 16:26:15

Hi OP, I was just diagnosed with that this week, am 35 weeks and I only had a very mild itch, nothing too bad at all.

Jenmcspen, can I ask you how the hospital are managing this for you? What's the recommended course of action?

LittleRedRidingHoodie Sun 07-Dec-14 16:59:27

Oh I'm worried now. I have an itchy rash all down my neck,chest and arms. I have shown it to the doctor and midwife and both said it was 'a rash' and that I didn't look yellow and was probably ok.

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 17:06:22

littlered obstetric cholestasis doesn't come with a rash as far as I know. As long as ur midwife is aware I wouldn't worry.

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 17:12:29

Hi holly

I have had a gowwth scan to check baby is okay, and also a scan of my liver to check there is no other underlying problem.

I have to go in weekly for monitoring (hooking me up to the machine to track baby's heartbeat), blood pressure checks etc, and also blood tests so they can monitor the levels of bile salts etc in my blood.

I am also going to have extra scans of baby's growth but has not been confirmed how often just yet.

I am on medication twice a day too. Am seeing consultant next week and have already been told I will be induced around 37 weeks to minimise risk to baby.

Sorry for epic post! Feel free to pm me if you need anything. I know how worrying and stressful it is.

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 17:12:54

oops growth scan that should say!

Bimberley Sun 07-Dec-14 17:39:51

Thanks. I think I'll call in GPs tomorrow and try and get an appointment. Or would it be better to go straight to midwife?

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 17:43:55

I just called my midwife and explained I was itching, she called me straight in to do bloods, no appointment.

Bimberley Sun 07-Dec-14 18:52:21

Ok thanks Jen.
I'll give her a call first thing.

jenmcspen Sun 07-Dec-14 21:39:31

Good luck. Chances are it will be nothing. OC is pretty uncommon, something like 1 in 180 pregnancies

jenmcspen Mon 08-Dec-14 17:32:34

Did they see you today?

juneavrile Mon 08-Dec-14 18:55:49

34 weeks, had itching - neck,arms and belly - and dark urine and mentioned to midwife who thought OC unlikely but did bloods as I was doing iron anyway. Turned out my markers were high and am now on meds and have weekly ctg.
Palms and feet or even acute itching do not seem to be as indicative as I was led to believe....or the MW thought!

Heels99 Mon 08-Dec-14 19:00:46

The day I started itching, I gave birth!

AlpacaYourThings Mon 08-Dec-14 19:01:24

I'm only 14 weeks but I'm itching like mad, is it possible to find out this early on? Or does the condition not develop until later on in pregnancy?

juneavrile Mon 08-Dec-14 19:41:56

Alpaca - OC comes on in late pregnancy.

If anyone wants more detail NHS and the liver trust have good info on their sites.

AlpacaYourThings Mon 08-Dec-14 20:01:52

I'll have a look at the NHS website, thanks juneavrile

jenmcspen Wed 10-Dec-14 15:36:52

Any news bimberly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now