Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

4lbs in 1 week.... WTF? :-(

(12 Posts)
Snaveanator Sun 07-Dec-14 10:35:36

Hey ladies,

Sorry I know this is such a trivial matter so some but I've really struggled with body image for years so it's a big deal to me.

My starting weight was 8 stone 3, at 19 weeks I weighed 8 stone 8 and I weighed myself exactly a week later and my scales are saying 8 stone 12! I've done it every day for the last 3 days and it's saying the same.

Is it actually possible to gain 4lbs in 1 week? I'm still working our regularly and eating relatively clean so this has come as a massive shock!

Meirasa Sun 07-Dec-14 11:36:46

Yes it is, and considering your low prepregnncy weight you should expect to gain a fair bit. Totally normal and good for you and the baby. The heavier you are the less you should gain. I have found with my friends that when they have a large weight gain in a week its because either they haven't gained much along the way or that the next week or two they gain a lot less. To only have gained 9 pounds since the beginning is really good so don't be hard on yourself. My advice is to stop weighing yourself if it is an issue as normal weight again is 1 pound a week at least till the baby is born from here on in- with some jumpes here and there. It will come off when it's born.

Halfpastthelegofmyshirt Sun 07-Dec-14 12:00:36

It's normal. I can understand it's worrying because it's out of your control but your body is making a lot of extra blood and things like that to help the baby grow.

Like Meirasa says the weight gain will be different from week to week. I'm 31 weeks and last week I put on 2lbs. This week I haven't put on anything.

Just keep eating healthily if morning sickness permits and try not to see weight gain as you getting fat but rather as the baby getting bigger.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 07-Dec-14 12:19:55

I found it hard to get my head around it being "okay" to put weight on during pregnancy. I was big to start with and I've put around a stone on in 37 weeks, which is apparently perfectly acceptable. It helped me to remember that not only is this weight maternal fat, but also baby, placenta (a whole new organ!), amniotic fluid and extra blood. That adds up to a lot!
Stop weighing yourself and try to relax. The midwife will weigh you once per trimester anyway, for official records. Take care

KittyandTeal Sun 07-Dec-14 12:29:51

I put on quite a bit in my first pregnancy. I didn't quite understand how much was baby, fluid and placenta. Dd was 8.6lbs at birth and from 40 weeks to the day I got home at 5 days old I lost 2 stone! All of it baby, fluid etc

applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 04:56:44

I think when you are a low starting weight it can go on a bit quicker at first, I was 7stone 10lbs pre pregnancy and now am 8stone 4lbs at 15 1/2 weeks. I'm focussing on the fact that I needed to put on weight and trying to be as healthy as possible for the baby. I was healthy before but was always aware of calorie intake, now not so much. I would advise to not weigh yourself too much, the hormones slow down your digestion anyway so if you are a bit bloated/constipated it can reflect on the scales.

I understand the body image issue, I've been struggling myself, 9lbs when you're a week off being half way through sounds pretty good to me smile am four weeks behind you and already on the 8lbs mark id it makes you feel any better x

TeamEponine Mon 08-Dec-14 05:26:19

I found that my weight gain went in spurts. I'd not put on any weight for two or three weeks and then I'd put on a few pound overnight. That happened right the way through. Totally freaked me out at first as I imagined putting that amount on over every single night, but it didn't happen. Maybe your weight gain will do this too?

figginz Mon 08-Dec-14 07:39:58

Is the midwife supposed to weigh you regularly peace? Nobody ever has since my booking in. Though as I'm 39+2 now I think it might be a bit late to worry about that!

Agree that the weight gain seems to come in fits and bursts. And most of it is baby and blood and amniotic fluid etc as people have said.

I've put a fair bit on but within the "limits" for my starting weight iyswim. Also it hasn't gone onto my arms which I am excessively vain happy about. So even if you do put on weight, it might look ok or even good!

TeamEponine Mon 08-Dec-14 08:18:47

You are normally only weighed at the booking in unless there is a specific reason to weigh you. I wasn't weighed again until a few days before my ELCS.

LittleRedRidingHoodie Mon 08-Dec-14 08:36:11

I'm five foot seven and my starting weight was nine stone. I found I put in tonnes of weight in the first trimester, I think I was basically a bit too thin for pregnancy so I chunked out. It was a massive shock and I was really upset about it. I stopped weighing myself at about 14 weeks as it was too depressing. I dread to think how much I weigh now but I will lose it again afterwards. I've resigned myself to being a chunky creature for this pregnancy and as it's winter at least it's not so obvious to many but me! The midwife weighed me at the start and hasn't weighed me again, I'm 32 weeks now. I imagine they might weigh me if I looked too skinny or too overweight? Try not to worry about it. Accept it and remember that it will come off the other end

HulaHoopsInTheBath Mon 08-Dec-14 09:28:13

I put on lots of weight in the first 12 weeks, just over half a stone I think it was. I am tall and had a BMI of 18 so a lower starting weight too. I worried as I put on 5 stone with my first baby, however at almost 37 weeks I have only gained a little under 2 stone, so for me it definitely slowed down for me. Try and relax, even last time with a 5 stone gain I was back to normal within 6 months without trying smile

supersupersupershock Mon 08-Dec-14 10:10:23

Don't weigh yourself! I have put my scales away and away they will stay! Think about the miracle that your body is creating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now