Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Book Help Please!!

(17 Posts)
TheHermitCrab Sat 06-Dec-14 11:38:12

Hello All,

First time mummy due in January. Looking for some recommendations of good books from the first day home with baby onwards, all the basics! unfortunately my mum has already passed so looking for some really basic day to day help and advice!

Also something that will be good for my partner to look through for day to day baby care, I don't want to have to instruct him, would be nicer for him to interpret things his own way smile

I've had a look at Rachel Waddilove - The Baby Book, this seems to have some good reviews.

I'll be buying used/cheap on ebay - so nothing too snazzy please smile xx

Thanks in advance ladies

Georgie507 Sat 06-Dec-14 12:57:40

Congratulations! I read your baby week by week, was brilliant for a first timer like me and spookily accurate! Have lent it to two friends since.

www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Baby-Week-ultimate-caring/dp/0091910552/ref=la_B001U4RQUW_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417870477&sr=1-1

TheHermitCrab Sat 06-Dec-14 23:18:18

Oooh thanks this looks great! smile

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 06-Dec-14 23:35:11

Cammando dad.

TheHermitCrab Mon 08-Dec-14 11:07:03

Thank you smile

If anyone else has any suggestions it would be very useful.

I know my post isn't dramatic or urgent or a "good read" lol but could really do with a few suggestions smile

leanne963 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:21:04

I bought Commando Dad for my partner for a Christmas present!! Looks informative and humorous smile

TheHermitCrab Mon 08-Dec-14 12:23:12

Think I may do the same for him smile

Jersey37 Mon 08-Dec-14 12:24:46

I found the Baby Whisperer really middle of the road... very practical.

NancyRaygun Mon 08-Dec-14 13:42:35

I found Penelope Leach really helpful and her advice really chimed with me.

www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-First-Year-Penelope-Leach/dp/1405336846/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418046056&sr=1-4&keywords=penelope+leach

But to be honest - be careful with the books. The happiest new mum I know deliberately didn't read any and just went by instinct. The midwives will hopefully show you the practical "this is how you change a nappy" and "this is what the baby should wear" stuff.

I read SO much (ex researcher by profession so...) and realised after getting many many many many books that my instincts were what was right for me. There is a reason the saying is "mother knows best"!

NancyRaygun Mon 08-Dec-14 13:43:27

PS congratulations! smile

mangoespadrille Mon 08-Dec-14 15:02:05

We're first timers due in January too. We've been reading First Time Parent by Lucy Atkins, which is really suited to us - no nonsense, friendly tone with practical advice that doesn't rose-tint things or tell you you're a failure if you don't do x/y/z.

I found it by going through Amazon and using the "look inside" feature to read a few pages and check that the style was right for us. Some people want a very didactic, step-by-step type book, others might want something based on a very specific philosophy etc., we just wanted something practical as neither of us have any experience of babies. Have a browse and see what's right for you.

TheHermitCrab Mon 08-Dec-14 15:02:14

Nancy I'm going to have to get that book now just for the fact I'm actually naming my daughter Penelope! lol. (And it looks like a good book! smile ).

I don't want to rely solely on my instincts with my baby because I want her to be safe and cared for by me being as well informed as possible. I'm not going to be referring to my book at every instance don't get me wrong, but I've never even held a baby, babysat or had a young family member around me, so I'm not going in blind and hoping my instinct takes over. (although that is my plan for the birth - I've read nothing about the actual birth, or labour and I don't have a birth plan... I'm all for "whatever happens, happens" then!)

And I definitely don't want to have to tell my OH what to do, he's has to be as responsible as me on the childcare side, don't want to be being asked questions, and be told "I don't know how"..etc I'm not his teacher smile.

To be honest my midwives have been terrible. I've had a different one at every appointment, and they either say nothing at all, or talk about things and I have no idea what they are on about and I have to get them to explain and I feel stupid.

Feel completely clueless and useless at the moment and I'm due in Jan sad.

Franny1977 Mon 08-Dec-14 15:05:07

'Secrets of the baby whisperer' by Tracey Hogg is really good for starting some basic routines etc. my DS is 13 months now and I've started reading the toddler version. I didn't agree with everything she suggests but it is good for guidance without being too rigid.

TheHermitCrab Mon 08-Dec-14 15:25:04

Great thank you! Got a little list now, will start looking for the best prices on Ebay smile

annielewis Mon 08-Dec-14 21:11:10

I've got a copy of Your Baby Week by Week if you want it? I'm on baby no3 due next July and and barely got a chance to look at it with second baby, so doubt it'll get much use with this one! grin

I loved it with my first baby though!! Nice short 'chapters' for when you're too knackered to read more than 2 pages!! PM me if you want it!

applecore0317 Mon 08-Dec-14 22:14:54

This book was recommended to me and I love it, very honest and has a handy measure for each week rather than the fruit comparison

TheHermitCrab Tue 09-Dec-14 08:55:29

Awwwww thanks Annie! I've PM'd you xx

Thanks Applecore! It's on my list :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now