Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"How's the bump?"

(20 Posts)
Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 05-Dec-14 14:12:14

Nothing makes me feel more like a vessel than this comment, which I'm getting on a daily basis. The bump is fine; but meanwhile I feel like shit.

Bad day. Rant over!

coastergirl Fri 05-Dec-14 14:15:03

What are you even supposed to answer to this?! Er...still there! I have no idea what to say when I get asked this question.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 05-Dec-14 14:15:21

Like a vessel. That's exactly it, isn't. Grrr. I am horribly sarcastic, and yet more so when pregnant and hacked off.

'Bumpy' said in the manner of a moody teen was my normal response to that one. Luckily my miserable face stood me in good stead so very few people dared to touch my bump.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 05-Dec-14 14:15:46

Oh, and hope your day gets better soon.

LittleRedRidingHoodie Fri 05-Dec-14 14:27:03

People are just being polite and trying to be friendly when they ask this. I know it can get wearing. I personally feel sad that people never ask me about ME anymore but I guess that's going to be it for the rest of my life!

DanyStormborn Fri 05-Dec-14 17:51:53

I get "how's bump" and "ooh bump must want cake/coffee/sandwiches" and it drives me mad.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 05-Dec-14 18:05:16

I know people are just being polite/friendly and maybe don't know what else to say, or whatever. But it doesn't help my self-esteem at all to feel so dehumanised all the time!

Thanks for the sympathy... Unfortunately my day got even worse when I broke a tooth in half just after posting this. Lulz. That's enough for today, thanks.

mangoespadrille Fri 05-Dec-14 18:18:59

Very annoying, but even moreso I find is "How's the baby?", like I have x-ray vision or like the baby is somehow talking to me. I have literally no idea how the baby is, aside from feeling movements and kicks every few hours. Am I supposed to take this as some kind of morse code type language and translate it for them?

Rationally, I know people are only being friendly and making conversation, but 8 months into a nightmarish pregnancy I reserve the right to be completely irrational at all times.

Jaffakake Fri 05-Dec-14 18:19:34

I'd much rather that than the "you're blooming", "are there two in there" comments that make me feel huge!

KentExpecting Fri 05-Dec-14 18:20:55

Oh my God, 'Ooh, bump must want some cake!' --- That's the worst one! Grrrr!!!

ChickenMe Fri 05-Dec-14 18:22:05

Yep people who say hun are into bump (and bubs).

OT a bit...Annoying person on my FB (who I have now hidden) is 11weeks and every status is about "bump". I doubt there is much of a bump at 11 weeks sorry. Attention seeking.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 05-Dec-14 18:23:07

I had "how's bubba?" every day for a week from a colleague. After an initial, "it's a baby and I don't know", I think my icily silent glare did the trick to dissuade her from asking again.

leanne963 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:30:08

I am not really showing much of a bump yet, im only 16 weeks, but i notice that when i walk in a room all eyes go straight to my belly in a 'You fat yet?' kinda way haha

Christelle2207 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:44:11

I HATE this. The only answer I can ever think of is "growing"

Psmith83 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:45:12

Ha! I'm so glad I found this thread! The BABY being called a bubba makes me want to punch people in the face, it really makes my skin crawl. Not sure what that is about... And when they ask how it is I snap, 'probably fine!' Gah!!!!

purplemurple1 Fri 05-Dec-14 18:48:57

There is no pleasing us - I've been annoyed that literally no one asks about the baby or bump. Although it is nice they ask how I am and if I need anything.

ChickenMe Fri 05-Dec-14 19:23:46

Haha at Bubba. I hate that too. It can do one along with it being "pink" or "blue".

DanyStormborn Fri 05-Dec-14 19:47:44

Yeah "bubba" or "babby" drives me crazy. Baby or featus please smile. Also agree apart from being lucky and having a reasonably straightforward pregnancy so far and feeling some kicks I have no idea how the baby is doing most days so get totally stuck what to say. Oh and I almost the punched a male colleague who asked "are there triplets in there" when I was at the tuck shop selecting a chocolate bar.

silverfishlondon Fri 05-Dec-14 23:35:11

I had a colleague who welcomed me every day with 'how's the bump / baby today?' While rubbing my tummy. She ment well but I didn't like it and I didn't have a clue how to answer. I usually said a vague 'yeah.. still there...getting bigger' or ' heavy'.

I dont mind people wanting to feel a kick when I offer and it's actually moving, but when its not moving and theyre just stroking me, and usually too high up for baby, its just awkward!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Fri 05-Dec-14 23:44:17

Oh god I've only had one non-family member touch my tummy and I physically moved away from her as I saw her go to do it confused wait to be asked! You won't be asked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now