Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else pregnant with twins and constantly STARVING?

(16 Posts)
TheEagle Fri 05-Dec-14 12:18:20

I'm 17 weeks pregnant with twins and in the last week my appetite has skyrocketed.

I wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs and have a snack.

I put on 5 stone when pregnant with my DS and lost about 4 stone of that before becoming pregnant with these 2 little wrigglers. Really don't want to have an astronomic weight gain like that this time around but I know that with twins I'll gain more than with a singleton.

Just wondering if there are any other expectant twin mums (or seasoned twin mums) who have felt this hungry!

luckythirteen Fri 05-Dec-14 12:56:15

I am 10 weeks with twins and thinking of food constantly! I have just eaten lunch but still wondering if I want anything else. Like you I am nervous about possible weight gain. It feels hard to control, doesn't it?

coastergirl Fri 05-Dec-14 14:14:03

I'm not even having twins but constantly starving! Particularly the past few days (I'm 25 weeks). Not too worried about weight gain though because I've gained very little so far.

NinjaPanda34 Fri 05-Dec-14 14:18:53

I'm 30 weeks with twins and have no appetite. And no space for food when I do eat. And no energy. I've gained 2 stone so far, but I'm all bump at the moment.

BloomingOrBallooning Fri 05-Dec-14 14:22:13

My twins are 4 weeks old now and I scoffed anything I could get my hands on during my pregnancy. However, I walked out of the hospital after giving birth 3 stone lighter than when I went in :-) so get munching as you have lots of baby growing to do!

Congratulations by the way!

poorbuthappy Fri 05-Dec-14 14:23:03

Well my twins are 6 now and I'm still starving!

poorbuthappy Fri 05-Dec-14 14:23:50

Although I did stop eating at around 30 weeks too because of the lack of space...

TheEagle Fri 05-Dec-14 14:25:20

I'm so glad it's not just me who's always either thinking of or eating food at the mo!

I've actually not put on as much weight as I had done with DS at this point. Seeing as I have 2 placentas and 2 good sized babies that has to be a good sign!

Just don't want to end up very very big and not able to manage my active toddler.

And now off to the kitchen I go for a cup of tea ... and probably some food fgrin

TheEagle Fri 05-Dec-14 14:26:54

poorbuthappy lol

blooming congratulations!

FreeButtonBee Fri 05-Dec-14 14:34:20

I ate a lot. A. LOT. when PG with my twins. I stopped weighing myself when I hit a 4.5st weigh gain (given I am 5ft 2, that was a lot). Lost a stone and a half immediately on leaving hospital and sweated away at least another million lbs! Don't forget that you are making lots more blood - I think your blood volume increases by about 2/3 with twins so it's not fat.

I won't lie - the last 3 weeks were very uncomfortable and I would suggest you see if you can get some family help with your toddler.

That said, it came off incredibly quickly. You really really really don't have time to sit down with little twin babies and the fat just melts away (partic if you manage to bf for a bit).

D0nnaO Fri 05-Dec-14 15:24:02

congratulations on your twins! I'm almost 19 weeks with just the one but hungry allllll the time! envy x

jenhad84 Fri 05-Dec-14 15:39:55

I'm 27 weeks with twins, and constantly starving, all I can think about is food all of the time!

I had hyperemesis for the first 20 weeks and lost a lot of weight, however have since more than made up for that. I do get a bit concerned that I'm over eating, however the urge for food is too strong!

Trying my best to make some healthy choices during the day, however I could quite happily devour a large pizza right now!

neversleepagain Fri 05-Dec-14 15:44:00

My twins are 2.2 now, I was so sick while I was pregnant that I went right off food.

In the end I gained a total of almost 3.5 stone. That was 12lb of babies and 5.5lb of a giant fused placenta! Like Free says, your body makes and carries double the blood and water to a singleton pregnancy.

By the time my twins were 4 weeks old I had lost 3 stone.

Eat and enjoy grin

TheEagle Fri 05-Dec-14 17:38:31

This thread has heartened me no end smile

Just tucking into some lamb stew now and I may have to persuade DH to get me some chips later.

Grow babies, grow!

sj73 Fri 05-Dec-14 17:43:35

I don't know how much I weighed when I was pregnant with twins but I know 3 months after The birth I stepped on the scales and weighed 14 stone so I imagine I must have been at least 17 the day I gave birth! However do not fear: the fat melted away I'm now 10.5 the lightest I've been in years! Was back to pre pregnancy weight pretty quickly with little effort as it's just so much physical work having 2 newborns.

TheScenicRoute Sat 06-Dec-14 09:10:29

Hi, I'm 28+2 weeks with twins. In my first 14 weeks I didn't stop for breath between mouthfuls ALL day long! I was pretty disgusted with myself constantly. Eating calmed my nausea for 1/2 an hour do that's how often I ate! Now I'm not too bad, still craving junk and waiting for the magical moment when all I want is fruit and muesli, but I do still feel nauseas most mornings and I remain absolutely disgusted with myself that between 9-10 am most mornings I'm shoveling salt and vinegar crisps or buttered toast down my cake hole (when I only had breakfast 2 hours earlier). Some one took a photo of me at the christmas do on Thursday and I genuinely didn't recognise myself I'd put do much weight on my neck face and chin!!! I think I've put on 2&1/2 stone, but I didn't weight myself when I got pregnant because I'd put weight on not long before and ignorance was my preferred policy. I regret not checking now. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now