Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Recruiting your own maternity cover

(11 Posts)
KentExpecting Fri 05-Dec-14 09:03:30

I'm due in March and I've just started recruiting for my own maternity cover. I'm a fairly senior manager in a large multinational organisation. I have several direct reports and work very internationally, with people around the globe. It's a cool job - but very complex, I'm involved in a million different projects and my boss is very aware that he won't cope well while I'm off (probably because he usually passes off my work as his... grrrrr...).

So, I knew that finding mat cover for my job would be tricky because my job spec is so complex. We've been advertising for a couple of weeks and have only had 2 CVs that look relevant enough to be worth an interview. The problem is that both of these candidates have salary expectations that are well above my own salary. Around 20% above. And my salary isn't ridiculously low to start with.

All my boss is saying that we need to 'manage salary expectations' from those applicants - but I think if he likes one of them, he'll just pay them that much more.

How would you handle this situation? I'm really, really struggling with the idea of replacing myself with someone who would be paid that much more to cover part of my job for 9 months. They wouldn't even cover all of it - we've slimmed the job down a bit to make it managable for an external candidate.

Has anyone been there/done that? How did you feel about it and how did you get over the negative feelings if you had any?

Also, my review is due in January. Do you think I can use this to try to get a massive pay rise? But I suppose the likelihood of getting any kind of pay rise just before I go off on maternity leave is slim to none?

Trapper Fri 05-Dec-14 09:11:55

For a complex senior role, I would expect I have to pay a higher rate for someone on a fixed term contract than someone who is permie.

KentExpecting Fri 05-Dec-14 09:36:54

Thanks Trapper, I hadn't thought of it like that. But would you expect a higher salary even for the slimmed-down version of the job - covering maybe 75% of my current responsibilities?

puppy123 Fri 05-Dec-14 09:40:57

I agree, particularly in senior level roles contractors are expensive, they don't have the stability, paid holiday etc that you have along with the job. Annoying but getting someone good in will hopefully mean they don't screw it up!

JennyBlueWren Fri 05-Dec-14 12:10:47

They might have have stated high salary expectations in the hope of getting them but would actually settle for less?

LIG1979 Sat 06-Dec-14 06:06:11

I think it is the temporary nature that will push the price up. I would not take a job for a year for the same salary as a permanent job as you know you will need to then find another one in a year. Also, people chance it with a salary - if someone said they were looking at earning a certain amount I would never offer them more than that..but if you go higher you can negotiate.

Mrscog Sat 06-Dec-14 06:53:06

I agree with the points above but if you think you're heading for a good review in January I'd try and use it as leverage for some sort of rise anyway!

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 06-Dec-14 07:15:31

Sounds daft but why not advertise with the salary information that you are expecting to pay?

browneyedgirly Sat 06-Dec-14 07:45:06

I don't necessarily agree with previous posters actually. If they are a freelancer or will be employed on a contractor (daily rate) basis then yes, perhaps they would command a huger salary to make up for the lack of holiday and sickness pay etc. but if they will be employed on the same terms, there's no reason why your company would pay them so much more. I'd see this as a good thing. If they pay someone more than you I think you're in a good position to ask for your salary to be matched when you come back.

Are these candidates men? Women still have lower salaries than men - even in the 'equal' world of 2014! And it's because they ask for more. So if I were you I'd try to use it to your advantage.

KentExpecting Sat 06-Dec-14 17:49:10

Thanks for all your posts! The job is advertised as a fixed term contract with full benefits, so I think that browneyedgirly has some valid points re: salary expectations.

I think I'll actually take this as a signal to argue that my job needs to be regraded and present the company with a full business case for that in my annual review... I might as well ask!

In the meantime, I've invited two crazily expensive candidates for interviews next week and will give them a real grilling. One is male, one female. I'm curious to see if they are really that amazing, if you see what I mean?

I'll report back after the interviews!

browneyedgirly Sun 07-Dec-14 08:23:14

Let us know how you get on - really intrigued to hear what happens. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now