Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need advice

(21 Posts)
Staceystars Fri 05-Dec-14 06:12:26

My head is all a mess atm and I'm so confused in what to think so thought I would see if anyone has had a similar situation to mine.

Roughly three weeks into my pregnancy I took two home pregnancy tests (clear blue) and both came back positive (hoorah). I then went to the doctors and after a month wait got a positive result from them also (they lost the first sample so I had to re take - terrible doctors) everything was going well I've not had any sickness or anything but I have felt different and from speaking to my mum she had no symptoms with me till she was 5 months. I've met my midwife filled out relevant paperwork and had bloods taken. I'm now 12 weeks and a few days pregnant by our calculations. Yesterday whilst at work I started to bleed nothing too heavy and only when I wiped but I was advised to get it checked regardless by my doctors as I freaked out. So I toddled to A and E and was seen instantly. They did a pee sample test both of which came back completely negative! So negative that they asked if I was sure I was positive in the first place (which i must have been as surely the doctors wouldn't get that wrong so many times and then book me for a scan etc etc) they then told me it was probably a missed miscarriage which has happened a few weeks ago hence my levels dropping and now showing a complete negative. A doctor came in and took my bloods and told me he would call in a few hours with results. Obvious total devastation for myself and my entire family/partner and was a very difficult and stressful afternoon. I continued to bleed but again still not heavy and only when I wiped never with any clots just a normal sort of period bleed but lighter (generally I don't have heavy periods anyway). Many hours later I called the hospital to ask about my blood results, the doctor then went on to tell me that my bloods are showing positive but not at the levels they would expect so he continued with his miscarriage diagnosis. He then called me back about fifteen minutes later to say that he had re read the results again and the levels are still high enough (may just be my dates although I find that difficult to comprehend as its worked out to the T) he has now booked me in for a scan tomorrow to check for a heartbeat. So now I'm clinging onto a tiny glimmer of hope that they've got it wrong. I've had no blood at all for roughly 10 hours but will keep an eye on it. I have been drinking a lot of water the past few days as I've been extremely thirsty so I don't know if that could be affecting my pee sample, the sample I gave them was very clear but I'm generally very healthy I eat a clean diet and take part in a lot of sporting events/ charity events I don't drink or smoke and haven't done so for years. I'm just confused to how it can show positive and now be showing negative but my bloods still at a high enough level that they want to do a scan. I guess I won't know for sure till tomorrow but it's driving me a little crazy with the worry, I'm not very good at relaxing and putting it out of my mind that's always something I haven't been able to do.

Staceystars Fri 05-Dec-14 06:19:06

Just to add as well that this is my first pregnancy and I've had no pains/cramps anything at all the entire 12 weeks and still nothing ATM either.

MyGhostIsFlummoxed Fri 05-Dec-14 06:26:30

I've not been in your situation but didn't want you to feel alone. Sorry you're going through this. Hope today brings you the answer you want.

GnomieGrace Fri 05-Dec-14 06:30:59

Oh Stacey poor you. I bet you are all over the place right now! I can't offer any explanations I'm afraid all I can do is offer some support. I had several bleeds over my first 12 weeks and it was an ectropian cervix, but I always tested positive. Is your scan tomorrow? Good luck. When is your dating scan due?

LittleRedRidingHoodie Fri 05-Dec-14 07:20:03

Pregnancy pee tests go negative after a while as there's too much hormone, I found this out for myself and it's scary. But if you dilute your wee with water the tests get stronger the more dilute your wee is. So that might explain the negative pee tests.

It might be a missed miscarriage that you're only just starting to lose but let's hope not. Go, get your scan and you'll know for sure - everything else is just speculation. It's a horrible time. The first few months of pregnancy, before the kicking, are so nerve wracking. It's out of your hands now and there's nothing to you can do which sounds maybe bleak, but I always found it quite comforting to think that my worrying etc was doing nothing at all.

Thinking of you x

Staceystars Fri 05-Dec-14 08:10:35

The scan is tomorrow to see what is going on and then my first scan is meant to be next week all baring on the outcome of tomorrow. I still have no bleeding as I say there definitely wasn't enough to indicate me to seriously worry right now but if it is a missed miscarriage I may not bleed at all.

This waiting is horrendous but you are right there's nothing I can do about it so going to try to not worry too much today and just see what happens. I will update tomorrow as well so everyone knows

Rumplestrumpet Fri 05-Dec-14 12:45:08

This sounds so awful, thinking of you. I'm really hoping you get a positive scan in the morning with a solid little heartbeat.

GnomieGrace Fri 05-Dec-14 18:53:27

Good luck! I really hope everything is ok for you

SunbathingCat Fri 05-Dec-14 19:03:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Staceystars Sat 06-Dec-14 18:49:34

Thanks for all the positive thoughts. Unfortunately the scan did confirm what I thought. The baby stopped growing at 7 weeks and now I have to decide which of the three choices I have to help miscarry it. At least I know for sure now.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 06-Dec-14 20:03:37

Hi Stacey, sorry to hear your bad news. I supported a friend through similar last year. She chose to have it managed in hospital with drugs rather than the more surgical procedure. It was upsetting but not physically traumatic. We were in the hospital for about 12 hours so it's worth taking some entertainment with you for distraction.

SunbathingCat Sat 06-Dec-14 20:11:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GnomieGrace Sun 07-Dec-14 14:27:38

I am so sorry Stacey I hope you can make the right choice for you.

MyGhostIsFlummoxed Sun 07-Dec-14 18:06:23

So sorry Stacey. I had medical management, if you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Since mine I've now got a 2 year old so it's not particularly painful for me to talk about now.

Staceystars Mon 08-Dec-14 08:15:23

So I decided on medical management, started to work within an hour of having the tablets they gave me codeine and paracetamol to take as I decided to do it at home with my family, I'm really not a fan of hospitals.

Pain was uncomfortable but manageable with taking my pain relief at 2 hour intervals. I decided I didn't want to see anything so at no point looked or checked the toilet which definitely made me cope much better with that side of it.

Pain suddenly got extremely painful in my lower back and lasted around an hour and a half, literally the worst pain I've ever felt and I suddenly went very faint and exhausted. My family told me this is contraction pain and to stick it out which I did and it did ease when I sat rocking with a hot water bottle on my back. Managed to get some sleep and feel ok this morning have taken my pain relief just in case. No way of knowing if everything has passed correctly atm they've told me to wait three weeks and take another pregnancy test.

Just thought i would share my experience because when I was researching it there were mostly horror stories that made me panic and really upset yesterday with the fear I thought it was going to be much much worse.

Again thank you for all the support I've been very lucky to have my family who have refused to leave me alone or even go home around me constantly. My partner will be here on Wednesday, he is working in Spain at the moment and Wednesday was the soonest he could get home.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 08-Dec-14 08:19:23

Glad you've got some real life support flowers

leanne963 Mon 08-Dec-14 08:39:21

Aww stacey big hug for you! Take care of yourself and try and sleep when you can! It is emotionally and physically exhausting. You are very brave. Thinking of you x

Clarabell33 Mon 08-Dec-14 08:48:20

Hi Stacey, I've been through this so hand-holding if it helps at all.

The only piece of practical advice I have is that it may be worth contacting the hospital to ask them to scan you again to check that you haven't got anything still to pass (think this is called retained product). I had bleeding at 11.5wks, and scan showed no development had taken place after about 6wks so was diagnosed as MMC and was sent home to see if things progressed naturally - they did - and was called back in within a week of it ending (still bleeding, but lighter) to be rescanned. It was all clear but I think they said there is potential for infection if you have any retained product - can't really remember as it was a bit of a blur.

leanne963 Mon 08-Dec-14 09:02:01

I second what clarabelle said. I unfortunately thought I had passed everything. An external scan showed everything was gonna but she offered an internal to make sure but I was so devastated I said no, and two days later I had a massive passing.

Staceystars Mon 08-Dec-14 09:22:04

I know the doctors said they would call me in 48 hours to check on me so I will ask them if nothing else has passed through by then. They have been fantastic at my hospital I haven't had to wait very long etc they've been very efficient minus the mis reading of my bloods etc by one doctor. The thought of another scan is really not pleasant but I understand that they have to check in case of infection and at least this time my partner will be here with me if I do have to go back to hospital.

Rumplestrumpet Mon 08-Dec-14 09:34:46

So sorry to hear this news Stacey, my heart goes out to you. I'm glad your family are with you, and hope you get some comfort when your partner arrives from Spain. Take care of yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now