Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low lying placenta - when would c-section be if it doesn't move?

(3 Posts)
DoYouWannaBuildaSnowman Thu 04-Dec-14 22:49:37

My 20 week scan showed slight placenta previa, just covering the edge of the internal os.

Had another scan today at 32 weeks, it's moved a bit but not enough apparently, no longer covering the os but lying right alongside it. I have another scan booked for 36 weeks but didn't see a doctor or anyone today.

If it doesn't move enough, when would they do a c-section? I haven't had any bleeding at all in the pregnancy.

Any stories or advice welcome, feeling a bit clueless about what happens now...

Elletorrito Thu 04-Dec-14 23:01:52

Hi. If it's still too close at the 36 week scan then they will book you in for a section, generally no earlier than 39 weeks. If you go into labour beforehand then you will have an emergency section.

My placenta was v close at 32 weeks and then moved to 2.4 cm away at 36 weeks ( I think they want it to be 2.5 cm away most places but possibly slightly further if your placenta is posterior ) but by then I decided I wanted a section.

Saw a second consultant before the op who said that in his opinion I made the right choice because my baby had not engaged (and my first didn't either) and he thought that there was a high risk that I would have ended with an emergency section if I had tried for a vaginal delivery.

I would ask midwife for a debrief/ meeting with a consultant to be booked in conjunction with your 36week scan

Good luck

DoYouWannaBuildaSnowman Fri 05-Dec-14 11:22:24

Thanks Elletorrito, that's really helpful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now