Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scared, worried, reassurance needed (TMI alert)

(24 Posts)
Womble1975 Thu 04-Dec-14 16:39:16

Hi
I'm 12 weeks pregnant with dc2. I've got my scan tomorrow. Yesterday when I went to the loo I wiped and there was fresh blood all over the tissue. In a panic I called the midwife line at our local birth centre/maternity unit. They told me not to worry, the fact I had no cramping or pain and the blood was only on the tissue, not heavy. Checked my blood group to make sure I didn't need Anti-D jab.

They said it sounded like a cervical erosion or similar and to monitor it, keep wearing a pad and to try not to stress. Said it is quite common to have a small bleed in early days. It may well turn brown in colour and to call back if any more worries.

Rest of day I still had blood and stringy mucus when I wiped varying in colour from pink to brown.
This mourning it was still brown in colour but still only when I wiped.

Later this morning I had some more red blood followed by and mixed in with brown and the stringy mucus again. Called midwives and again told me same as yesterday and they tried to bring forward my scan to reassure but as I'm having nuchal scan as well and Downs testing as I'm nearly 40 they couldn't get me in any sooner. Checked I had no pain still and hasn't soaked through pads etc and told me to take it easy and hopefully would get reassurance from scan in the morning.

Has anyone else had this and could reassure me somehow? I had nothing like this with dd1. The pregnancy was great, no symptoms. This pregnancy I've had sickness and really bad lethargy lots of stretchy pains and even in maternity clothes already and now this. Couldn't be more different than last time. I'm really really scared about it all but trying my best not to stress but it's so hard.
TIA for any info or help anyone can give.

Teeste Thu 04-Dec-14 17:23:23

Awww, I know how stressful that can be Womble. I had an MC in April, am now 12 weeks with the second pregnancy. I had a small but significant bleed at 9+5, bright red blood, and was completely petrified. I was nowhere near the dating scan so went private as I'd've gone totally insane otherwise. Turns out bean was perfectly fine, no signs of bleeding in the sac/placenta, they put it down to either friable cervix or a burst cyst or something. I still get spots after a bm (sorry if tmi!).

With any luck your scan tomorrow will reassure you, I know it's so hard to wait. Got my fingers crossed for you flowers

Womble1975 Thu 04-Dec-14 17:45:12

Thanks Teeste
I had fast growing cysts on my ovary this year so my rational side is saying this could be related but it's still very scary especially as I didn't have this last time.
Think I've mentally prepared for the worst but hoping for the best of that makes sense.
If I get through this I'm convinced it's a boy as my daughter was no issues at all during pregnancy!
Thanks for your kind words. Hope all goes well with you. smile

Teeste Thu 04-Dec-14 18:07:05

Ah yes, I have PCOS and the sonographer said that can sometimes be a factor with bleeds. I'm convinced this one is a boy too - how strange! grin

My mum keeps telling me there's nothing I can do about it either way and that I should relax and keep sending positive vibes to the bean in case it all turns out fine and I 'damage the baby somehow' by being stressed. Although this mainly makes me want to kick her on the shin, there may be something in what she says wink

Do something nice for yourself tonight if you can, see if you can distract yourself. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Womble1975 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:33:21

I'll try to distract myself but the bleeding is still there and is now red with stringy dark red mucus. Midwives have said just hang in for scan.
I'm just so scared. Waiting for DH to get home and trying to carry on as normal with dd.
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Can feel a sleepless night coming on hmm

Jodie1982 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:47:04

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow Womble, i can't begin to imagine how scared you must be feeling. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. X

KittyandTeal Thu 04-Dec-14 19:51:54

Yes I had this in my last pregnancy although it was from about 34 weeks on.

Mine was cervical erosion and exactly as you describe, a bit of red blood then older brown stuff, the stringy-ness will probably be it mixing in with your normal mucus.

Grim but I wouldn't worry (although I did obviously)

RachieS1986 Thu 04-Dec-14 22:24:35

Hope everything is ok tomorrow flowers

SilverStars Thu 04-Dec-14 22:30:08

Hi, hope all goes ok for you on Friday. I had scanning at 13-4 weeks ( now 16). Discovered at 12 week scan I have a haematoma on placenta ( blood clot). They said may bleed more or not. But nothing they can do except check all is ok. If it bleeds a lot I have to go into hospital ( soaking/gushes). I was told to rest when bleeding which helped actually.

Womble1975 Thu 04-Dec-14 22:30:11

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Bleeding is a bit heavier now ��
Dd in bed so is DH.im sat here watching trash tv trying not to be negative as can't see me sleeping anytime soon. Will update tomorrow.xan see this being a long night as I'm too scared to sleep incase I wake up to anything worse.
But thank you all for replying. Means A lot

Swanny84 Thu 04-Dec-14 23:12:06

Awww womble, cant imagine what your feeling at the moment sad must be so scary but your not in pain and are 12 weeks, fingers crossed it's something like the other posters have said. Good luck with your scan xxx

Changeitplease Thu 04-Dec-14 23:22:44

Please don't worry ... Am sure it will be alright. Try and take some rest ...

cakedup Thu 04-Dec-14 23:24:38

I had occasional bleeding all throughout my pregnancy! I was also told not to worry and 9 year old DS is living proof. The only time anything was done was when I had a bleed at 6 months on Christmas day. I was at my dads and went to his local hospital, even then they weren't that worried but checked me over and monitored baby's heartbeat just in case.

So there is a good chance it's nothing, I think you'd know if it was an MC. Good luck for tomorrow xx

ovaltine Thu 04-Dec-14 23:27:33

Try not to worry - my friend had what you described from 7w - 26w and was told its absolutely normal. Totally healthy baby.

BananaToast Fri 05-Dec-14 07:29:52

I had exactly what you describe on and off from BFP to about 11 weeks. I'm now 20 weeks and everything looks good so far. Sonographers told me there was no obvious reason for it, it is sometime just something that happens. Wishing you lots of luck for your scan today, I know just how scary it is.

WrappedInABlankie Fri 05-Dec-14 14:29:32

I hope today goes well op

Womble1975 Sat 06-Dec-14 08:42:51

Thank you to all who posted.
Unfortunately I ended up miscarrying yesterday at my scan. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance (our local hospital is like a cottage hospital with a birth centre)
The fetus hadn't survived past 5 weeks but the yolk sac had kept growing.
Despite the hideous experience I cannot thank the hospital staff enough for their caring and empathy. I lost a lot of blood but convinced them to let me home late last night as I know mentally I would be better there.
Thank you again for all your responses and I'm going to focus on getting better, enjoying Christmas with my precious daughter, and hopefully have some good news to share next year when I'm physically and mentally in a better place.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wanted to update all of you that took the time to wish me well. Xx

Swanny84 Sat 06-Dec-14 08:58:39

Awwww so so sorry to read this morning sad sending lots of love xxxx

Teeste Sat 06-Dec-14 09:43:08

So sorry to hear this, Womble. Take good care of yourself xxx

leanne963 Sat 06-Dec-14 10:08:42

I am so sorry womble thinking of you! Take care of yourself flowers flowers

LuckyAugust Sat 06-Dec-14 10:17:10

So sorry to read this. Thinking of you and sending big hugs xxx

cakedup Sat 06-Dec-14 22:50:19

Oh I'm so sorry Womble. I'm glad that at least the hospital staff were good, that can make such a difference. I hope physically you feel better soon and it's so brave of you to have such a good outlook on it all.

Have a lovely Christmas with your dd, you deserve it xxx

Jodie1982 Sat 06-Dec-14 23:29:25

Sorry to hear your sad news Womble. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope to hear some good news from you nxt yr. Enjoy your Xmas with your little girl n partner. Xx

Me2Me2 Sun 07-Dec-14 00:35:09

So sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now