Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness - why does eating help?

(5 Posts)
LizziTea Thu 04-Dec-14 12:25:39

A slightly random question, but does anyone know the reason why eating seems to help morning sickness? I am used to controlling my migraines with eating - if my blood sugar get too low I get a migraine, so I need to eat high fibre food with some protein and fat, and avoid sugar and meals that are really high in carbs. However, I suspect that eating to control morning sickness is a bit different. I have certainly found it easier to eat rice pudding than oatcakes with hard boiled egg! Does anyone know if it's a question of blood sugar, or just putting something simple in your stomach or what? And any suggestions of nausea friendly foods that will also keep my blood sugar levels stable and so help with the migraines?

croon979 Thu 04-Dec-14 12:46:25

sorry I don't know the answer but just wanted to say that everyone is different. I only ever felt sick in the first 12 weeks AFTER I ate, I was fine until I ate something. I know that lots of women finding eating a little and often helps keep the morning sickness at bay but it wasn't the case for me. Every body is different. I also control my migraines by eating so didn't have a choice but to eat and then feel quite nauseous afterwards...

ToriB34 Thu 04-Dec-14 12:50:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anothergenericname Thu 04-Dec-14 13:00:05

It's an insulin imbalance. The hormones mess around with it - that's why quick-release foods like white carbs are good.

It's also why we crave sweet and/or carby foods when we have PMT and other hormone surges. Fun, huh?

LizziTea Thu 04-Dec-14 16:50:37

If it's insulin, then presumably trying to have something more sustaining along with the sugary carbs I crave would help. Interesting! But I take the point about everyone being different. I seem to change by the day at the moment, anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now