Talk

Advanced search

Can you dye your hair in pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
saiyme09 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:40:21

I all the way through this pregnancy have been itching to dye my hair bright red! Not something unusual for me my art school days left with various "edgy" terrifying hairstyles! I'm rather bored of my hair at the moment it's it's natural colour ( black) and obviously means that I'll have to get my hair dresser to bleach it! So can I or isn't it recommended ?

Bohemond Thu 04-Dec-14 11:47:08

My hairdresser advised that some types of dye are OK.
I compromised and went with foils so the dye was not in touch with my scalp.

saiyme09 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:55:16

That's a good idea thank you I'll have to ask my hairdresser!
Someone mentioned to me about henna dye but I'm not sure...

Gudgyx Thu 04-Dec-14 11:57:05

Most home dyes are fine! As long as you keep the window open wherever you're doing it so its well ventilated etc.

Do a patch test first even if you have used the dye before - your skins sensitivity might change in pregnancy!

Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 04-Dec-14 12:37:58

A scalp bleach might be sore if your skin has become more sensitive in pregnancy, as it does for some people. What about a dip dye or a slice? It would be faffy to bleach your whole head with foils!

LittleRedRidingHoodie Thu 04-Dec-14 14:17:20

I've bleached and coloured mine twice since pregnancy began.

Olive1987 Thu 04-Dec-14 15:25:52

Colouring hair in pregnancy is absolutely fine. Some hairdressers might say wait till after the 3 month mark, but I think that's to cover their backs. I've coloured mine yesterday, I'm 17 weeks pregnant.

Someone above mentioned henna, just be carful if you do use henna then go back to your usual colour product it can sometimes have a reaction with the henna.
In my salon we cannot touch someone's hair if it's has henna on as the products we use will react.

saiyme09 Thu 04-Dec-14 15:44:18

Ooooo good stuff thankyou very much for the replies!

plannedshock Thu 04-Dec-14 21:03:18

Don't use henna!!!!

LittlePeasMummy1 Fri 05-Dec-14 11:21:15

Here is a patient information leaflet that summarises all of the available scientific information about use of hair dye in pregnancy. Hope this is helpful
www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Hair-dye/

WorryWurta Fri 05-Dec-14 19:21:58

If you want to use henna my experience with the lush henna dyes is they are effective (depending on your original colour) and also that they can be dyed over with regular dye. Having said that both my GP and hairdresser said was fine to have hair coloured so I have continued with highlights throughout pg.

M27J5M Sat 06-Dec-14 13:20:16

As a hair stylist I wouldn't advise going full head black to red, the bleaching and then the continuous upkeep of being red is all a lot of work, you'd be doing an awful lot more than just a normal colour, why not try some foils? Means you'd have some red but without as much of the colour touching your scalp!

If you decide to go full head defo do a patch test first as your hair/skin can change during pregnancy and react to the colour diff, esp with reds/purples as they're the most unnaturalcoyrs on the colour wheel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now