Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding and pain at 7 weeks - just need to talk to someone

(15 Posts)
MelB2014 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:34:21

Hello, I'm new to mumsnet and a bit in shock at the moment. This might be long but I need to vent (sorry in advance).

I came off the pill earlier in the year, after being on it for 12 years due to problems with very painful irregular periods and endometriosis. 3 months ago, my periods actually seemed to settle into a 28 day cycle and to my (and my husband's) surprise, on Friday last week we did a HPT and it was positive. I had been having some side effects like sore boobs and feeling very tired and nauseous, but also spotting of brown or pink blood, so went to my GP on Monday. I last had my period on 16th October, making me now 7 weeks.

On Tuesday, I woke up at 12.30am in excruciating pain. I went to the bathroom and discovered that I was bleeding bright red blood. The pain was horrendous, I felt very sick and then passed out on the bathroom floor (I have a lovely bumped head). When I woke up I managed to crawl to the bedroom and wake my husband up. The rest is a bit of a blur as I kept losing consciousness and was in so much pain I couldn't really speak. He phoned 111 and they sent an ambulance.

I went to the EPU at the local hospital, and the nurse said I wasn't bleeding heavily enough to be miscarrying (it was mainly evident upon wiping rather than soaking pads). After a couple of hours, the doctor checked me and my cervix was still closed, but she cleaned away quite a bit of blood.

I was still in pain but it was bearable, so they sent me home with painkillers and booked me an appointment for a scan last night. All through yesterday I was bleeding, and 2 hours before the scan I passed a lump of tissue (probably about 3-4cm long) and I thought that was it, I had definitely miscarried. My boobs are also no longer sore. I was crying pretty much all the way to the hospital and my husband and I were ready for the news that it was all gone.

When we had the scan, it turned out that the embryo and the sack/yolk are all still intact, but the nurse couldn't find a heartbeat (it is 3.2mm long). The appointment was brief, I told her about the tissue and she said it could've been the placenta and that I should prepare myself for the rest to follow, but that it's also possible that it's just too early for a heartbeat to be picked up as the embryo is small. I have a scan booked for next Wednesday to see what progress (or not) has been made.

Then we went home, totally numb and not sure how to feel.

I've continued to bleed all night and still going now, although not soaking pads through. I don't know what to feel today, I am scared of what's to come if I have to pass the rest as the pain was terrible. I'm also scared of hoping that it is still viable and then having to go through the crushed emotions again.

Has anyone been through this at all? I just feel so alone and unsure about what to do or feel now.

I have a really stressful job and the last few weeks have been awful and I've been so stressed with work and professional exams at the same time (I had no idea I was also pregnant). I'm worried that that is why this is happening to me. I'm signed off work for a few days now.

leanne963 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:58:32

Aww I am so sorry you are going through this!!! Unfortunately I can't offer any advie but my thoughts are with you! Hope someone with more knowledge comes along to give you some advice. flowers

m33r Thu 04-Dec-14 12:54:26

Hi mel. I also have nothing to offer but hope that everything is ok. Thinking of you.

TinyWishes Thu 04-Dec-14 13:54:00

Hi Mel

Don't feel alone - have you spoken to your partner. Allow yourself time to cry, get angry, get upset, do whatever the hell you want because this is real and scary and upsetting. Don't feel bad for showing any type of emotion.

How are you feeling today? There is nothing you can do until more of an outcome happens. Maybe the bleeding will ease up and the scan will be fine and a heartbeat will then be picked up. Until then - go easy on yourself, rest, sleep, try and eat and keep your energy up.

Keep posting, let us know how you are getting on.

Sending you a big bear hug! xxxx

boatrace30 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:20:11

Hi,

Really sorry you are going through this. I had bleeding at 4 weeks (which I thought was a period - didn't know I was pregnant) and again at 5weeks. I was scanned and they found a clot. I continued to bleed for a few weeks on and off. But am 13+4 now and all is well.

At six weeks my embryo measured 3.3mm. I do wonder if you are not as far along as you think and that is why they haven't found a heartbeat.

I really hope everything works out! Take care. xx

MelB2014 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:43:45

Thank you all so much for replying. I am OK today, still a bit numb but I'm at home and just letting myself rest and try and come to terms with the last 48 hours which have been quite traumatic, for me and for my poor husband who has gone to work the last two days on a very small amount of sleep.

I don't really feel like dealing with the world at all today but I'm going to try and take my dog for a walk to see if getting some fresh air helps.

The pains keep coming and going, I'm not bleeding as heavily as yesterday but how long that will last I have no idea.

I don't know for sure how far along I am/was, I only went to my GP on Monday and we thought 6-7 weeks based on my last period. However I've had irregular periods before and since we weren't actively trying for a baby I have no idea of when I ovulated.

It is just a waiting game now I guess, although I have been finding some comfort in knowing that there is a tiny ray of hope.

mrsfazruns Thu 04-Dec-14 15:12:10

Hi mellb2014 .... I am 6w3d and going through very similar!! I had very light brown bleeding for a week that stopped last Thursday!! I went to the gym yesterday to have a personal training session to tell me what I can and can't do in pregnancy!! ..... Immediately after the workout I had a red blood on wiping and it has now been light brown discharge overnight with mild intermittent cramps! I went to the doctor and having an urgent scan tomorrow and I am terrified! I'm trying to stay really positive but know how you feel with not facing the world!! I've not wanted to speak to anyone apart from DH and stayed indoors since I got home!! Prayers with you and really hoping we are both carrying little fighters!!! Xxx

MelB2014 Thu 04-Dec-14 19:44:36

Mrsfazruns I really hope everything is OK for you, my GP told me not to worry about light cramping and a little bit of blood so be reassured that if that's it, it can be quite normal.

Unfortunately mine turned into quite a bit more blood and the worst cramping I've ever had, I think the fact I was passing out was a bad sign. Today I have passed more tissue so I am 90% sure that I'm going through a miscarriage sad I'm trying to come to terms with it now, although I won't know for sure until we have the scan on Wednesday and the wait is going to be awful!

I guess that one thing I can say after this experience is that I hadn't realised how much my husband and I actually wanted a child. If this one doesn't work out then it has at least made me sure that it is something I want in my life.

I feel very sad right now, I just want to know for sure one way or the other so I can start moving on.

TinyWishes Thu 04-Dec-14 19:51:04

Don't loose hope yet thanks xxx

mrsfazruns Fri 05-Dec-14 11:37:35

Don't lose hope and try to stay positive!! I know exactly how you feel though ..... The waiting in horrible when you know there is nothing you can do xxxx

naty1 Fri 05-Dec-14 19:54:39

As you didnt test until the other week its possible you arent as far along.
Fingers crossed.

MelB2014 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:38:59

Thanks so much ladies. Unfortunately I've continued to bleed constantly and that makes it 4 days so far, so I just can't see how it's possible to bleed this much and for the pregnancy to still be viable sad.

As much as i would like to stay positive, I just don't feel like I can any more. The nausea has stopped completely and my boobs just don't hurt anymore (they were really painful the week before). I'm so upset about it but more than anything I just want to know for sure what has happened now because the waiting in limbo is a killer.

MelB2014 Thu 11-Dec-14 16:03:26

Just thought I would update this. Unfortunately I was correct and a complete miscarriage was confirmed yesterday at my follow up scan. sad

BumWad Fri 12-Dec-14 22:33:33

I am so sorry for your loss Mel flowers

Phryn Sat 13-Dec-14 08:30:16

So sorry for your loss Mel. When you're ready the TTC after a MC thread on the conception board is amazingly supportive and helpful. Really hoping for a sticky bean for you in your near future. I had a mc at around 7 weeks and it was so hard physically and emotionally - but I did conceive again shortly after and am now 15 weeks pregnant. What you are going through is horrible but don't lose home of the family you dream of. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now