Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

"Any signs yet?"

(17 Posts)
butterbeerfloat Thu 04-Dec-14 10:04:56

Aaah! Due date on Saturday and if I'm not being told I look huge I'm being asked if anything is happening yet.
Oh or there's the equally annoying "Oh, still pregnant then?". NO SHIT!
I'm actually lucky to feel very comfortable and have had a very easy pregnancy health and comfort-wise, I'm not at the "oh my God get this baby out of me!" stage at all, just sick of everyone's comments!

But! This post is more than just a rant. What do people even mean anyway?! I lost a very small amount of the plug last week but by no means all and other than that haven't had any "signs" that I'm aware. I didn't tell anyone about the plug except my DM as I didn't want to get anyone excited for no reason, and my DM found it really interesting/exciting because she said the first thing she knew about any of her labours was that she was suddenly having full blown regular contractions out of nowhere.

So what kind of signs is everyone expecting of me!?

How did your labours first start?

EstRusMum Thu 04-Dec-14 10:51:19

My first one started with my waters breaking during sleep. Never had any signs of plug though. Might have missed it. And I can say for sure, that waters breaking was not like in the movies. It was just pouring out of me continuously for several hours. And when the actual contractions started (after they induced me), some more was coming with every contraction. Annoying.

I suppose people are expecting you to say "Yeah, the head is out already. Slightly uncomfortable to walk like that." You should actually say it and see how they'll react. grin

butterbeerfloat Thu 04-Dec-14 10:58:13

That sounds unpleasant EstRusMum ! I've been given some of those big pad things, thinking I should put one on the bed now just in case!
You know I think I might have to say that wink I find it so hard these days not to respond to the "oh you're still pregnant?" with "no? Had him last week...?" grin

Putthatonyourneedles Thu 04-Dec-14 13:29:37

Hi, I'm also due on Saturday. So far I've had four txt messages/whatsapp messages asking if baby is here yet.
Despite this being my third baby I have never gone into Labour on my own naturally before (induction/emcs and then elcs)so don't really have any experience of the start of it.

Kind if want to do a mass message to people "still pregnant, waters intact, cervix not dilated, plug not passed"

coastergirl Thu 04-Dec-14 13:34:55

I plan on using this when my time comes! www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com

Pisghetti Thu 04-Dec-14 13:37:42

My labour started after an obstetrician declared my cervix as unready and popped a pessary in 12 days after my due date. I had about four weeks of daily "any news?" phone calls and texts. I very nearly lost my rag a few times.... as if I'd forget to tell my family I'd had the bloody baby!

SweetsForMySweet Thu 04-Dec-14 13:49:58

I'm just a little vague about the exact date I'm due in case I go over (I say mid month). I thought it would deter people from making stupid comments but it doesn't.

MaltedMilkBiscuits Thu 04-Dec-14 13:56:54

EstRusMum that really made me giggle! I'm noting that down to use!

MaltedMilkBiscuits Thu 04-Dec-14 13:57:47

EstRusMum that really made me giggle! I'm noting that down to use!

ZebraZeebra Thu 04-Dec-14 14:03:16

I got extremely ratty by 42 weeks and started hissing at people: Yes I had the baby a month ago but just couldn't be bothered to tell anyone. RAAAAARGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

This is the reason I have not told anyone except DH and my doula the due date. Everyone else just gets "March" as an answer including parents and friends. Not even early March or mid-March - just "March". Sometimes I've even said April. People just can't leave you alone and I am particularly susceptible to any kind of pressure. Even if people didn't say anything, I'd know they knew and were just waiting...silently...and that would make me ratty.

I'm due March 6 by the way grin

(It's only because I had an awful labour after being pressured into an unnecessary induction because I was overdue that I am so sensitive about it. I need to know I can trust my body and not go through that again, so whatever measures I need to take...I will. I'm normally super nice wink)

Emilyrose1290 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:21:11

Just wanted to say I am due march 6 too Zebra grin
I am planning on having lots of things to do around the due date so that I am not sitting around waiting, then might just turn off my phone for the month!
Though it is my first so ask me again if I feel up to doing anything!

ZebraZeebra Thu 04-Dec-14 15:05:11

Due date buddy grin Let's hope we're both 38 weekers!

I spent my last due date with lots of energy going on endless walks. But this time I have a toddler as well and already I have endless walks every day. Trying to tell myself it makes for a toned uterus wink

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 04-Dec-14 16:28:00

This did my head in, I went just over a week over and had twice daily texts from certain family. confused I know they were just excited, but PISS OFF! The first sign of labour for me was contractions every 3 minutes btw. Which I appreciate isn't helpful!

Showy Thu 04-Dec-14 16:35:12

My first sign of labour both times was my waters popping in spectacular fashion.

You need to start actually answering the questions you're asked. It's bloody rude not to. If you're struggling with how to phrase it, may I suggest...

"Actually yes, I've had many signs. Let me tell you aaaallll about it. Firstly there was the show. It was snotty and slightly bloody. Like a terrible nasal infection but felt elasticky like well thumbed blu tac. Hang on and I'll get the pictures out in a minute. Meanwhile, the size of the baby at this late stage is putting tremendous strain on both my bladder and my bowels. If I'm not shitting through the eye of a needle... hang on, why are you backing away... come back, I'm not finished... OI I WANT TO TELL YOU ABOUT MY PILES!!"

And then you open the chocolate as the tumbleweed whistles past....

butterbeerfloat Thu 04-Dec-14 20:30:14

Hahaha Showy that post was absolutely brilliant!

Similar to my mum then BurnThisDiscoDown ! That's how she started too, said she went from feeling completely normal to boom I'm in labour, so she didn't know what to tell me when I said why is everyone asking me for signs?! Lol

Ahh to the ladies due March 6th, that was my DMIL's due date with my DH, he was born on the 7th.

Sweets that's a really neat idea actually! Wishing I had thought of that now before blabbing my date around!

Thanks for all the responses so far! May need to copy your message Putthatonyourneedles - seems to cover everything and has the perfect tone of "now don't ask me again" !

And that's just it isn't it Pisghetti as if they wouldn't know already if something had happened!

That website is also absolutely brilliant coastergirl grin

butterbeerfloat Thu 04-Dec-14 20:33:03

Oh I meant Zebra and Sweets both having the right idea about being so vague!

coastergirl Fri 05-Dec-14 00:23:50

I think I've told too many people about that site now. By the time I'm due (21st march) everyone will have seen it and it won't have the desired effect anymore! I've started being vague about my due date now too. There is a chance I will end up with a section (low placenta and baby is currently breech) and I've decided if I do, I'm telling absolutely nobody the date. Going to quietly book the cats into the cat hotel and sneak off and have our baby, and tell people when we are ready.

Showy your post made me laugh so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now