Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When does baby start kicking regularly?

(7 Posts)
ArchangelGallic Thu 04-Dec-14 07:08:34

This is actually my 2nd pregnancy but I can't remember details from my first.

The foetus was so active when I had my scans, the sonographer took ages to get views needed. However, I'm now 27 weeks and still not particularly feeling regular movements.
Depending on how I'm sitting or lying I get fluttery sort of movements as if baby is getting squished and repositioning, but I'm not getting strong kicks.
How many weeks were you when you could recognise a definite pattern to movement?

mrshjb Thu 04-Dec-14 07:14:45

I'm 32+1 and don't feel have any pattern to my baby's movement. Midwife said it's perfectly normal to just feel them on and off during the day not at set times. I've found it's totally dependent on what I'm doing in the day as well. If I was off work and lying around I'd definitely feel him more than if I was at work all day.

The movements have been very strong at times and more like rolls and waves at other times. They probably started getting really strong around 25 weeks ish I think (it's hard enough to remember my own name sometimes so really can't remember exact times). I have an anterior placenta and this is my first.

Pearljam79 Thu 04-Dec-14 09:47:15

I'm 21 weeks and have an anterior placenta. I started getting faint kicks about 2 weeks ago. They're now a lot more noticeable but only when I'm sitting or lying still, when I'm out and about I don't feel it. At my 12 week and 20 week scan the baby was very active and it took ages to get all the measurements/views etc. I've got to go back next week to re-scan the spine.
My sister (who's DS is now 10 months) didn't feel any kicks until she was 25 weeks, yet a friend of mine who is 20 weeks has been feeling kicks since about the 15 week stage.

Gudgyx Thu 04-Dec-14 12:04:28

25+6 now and felt baby's first movement at around 19 weeks. I didnt feel it again for a week or so, from then on it was big kicks all round all the time! The past week or so though it hasnt been so much big kicks, more like her nudging me out the way if you know what I mean. Lots of wriggling too!

harrowgreen Thu 04-Dec-14 13:01:19

Think the advice is to kick monitor (not count - the advice now is to be aware of your baby's personal pattern, rather than adhering to a strict number of kicks/hr) from 28wks. That's the general point at which babies are big enough to be felt consistently.

If you're not getting much movement then that's your particular pattern, so I wouldn't worry too much: it's when the movement pattern changes that you need to go get checked out. As baby gets bigger you'll gradually feel more movements and that'll become the new pattern.

ArchangelGallic Thu 04-Dec-14 18:37:00

If its 28 weeks then I won't worry yet.
I downloaded the count the kicks app and did monitor a bit of activity this afternoon.

harrowgreen Mon 08-Dec-14 20:28:17

28wks is what the leaflet from my midwife (given to me at 35wks...) said. You'd be taken seriously before then if you had concerns, but I think the baby is really still too small for regular movement to be felt I think.

With this pregnancy, the baby was oblique breech (so wrong way up and slightly horizontal) until about 34wks and it was only once s/he turned the 'right' way that I've begun to feel very regular, predictable movement. So a lot can depend on its positioning too. It's what normal for you, not someone else's baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now