Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Late pregnancy question - cough and pee related (am cringing to be asking!)

(13 Posts)
dottytablecloth Wed 03-Dec-14 20:19:17

I'm 38+3 days pregnant and have had a dreadful cough for the last few weeks.

Am dreading how I'm going to cope with my c section and a constant cough sad

Anyway, almost every time I cough wee comes out blush is this normal? confused

Maxis1 Wed 03-Dec-14 20:30:33

It sounds like your pelvic floor is weakening. In our antenatal class they mentioned leaking of pee when laughing, coughing or sneezing as a sign of a weak pelvic floor muscle and showed us some exercises to do.

I would recommend you read up on this, they are actually really easy to do its basically contracting and releasing the pelvic floor muscle.

TheScenicRoute Wed 03-Dec-14 20:31:03

Mortifing as it is, I'm 10 weeks behind you and when I stand up from having a wee ( but not when I stand up any other time curiously) I get the same. Seriously need to up the pelvic floor exercises but my motivation is low. Has anyone got any good pelvic floor exercise instructions?... Oh and some motivation as well?

NaiceNickname Wed 03-Dec-14 20:31:41

I hope so! I coughed today and a bit escaped blush had to down tools in the kitchen and go and clean up and change pants! I'm 38+5... no dignity at all in this pregnancy game grin

RachieS1986 Wed 03-Dec-14 20:41:24

I can sympathise also I had a bad chest infection at about 29 weeks and had to resort to the maternity towels. I started to freak myself out that my waters were leaking lol

plinkyplonks Wed 03-Dec-14 20:43:52

I'm 19 weeks and the dreaded cough and pee situation has already happened!! I would try not to panic smile I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises to try and sort it out smile Good luck x

ParisWhenItSizzles Wed 03-Dec-14 20:45:10

Sounds familiar... mine has never quite fully recovered. blush

Roxie85 Wed 03-Dec-14 21:11:58

Totally normal. I tried to do pelvic floor exercises every day during my pg but have to admit I slacked a bit. By the end I was that concerned I thought my waters were leaking but no just pee!
Thankfully after giving birth and recovering from my swolleness etc I managed to get back to pelvic floors and no longer pee myself!

bonzo77 Wed 03-Dec-14 21:26:33

As a fellow previous sufferer:

Your cough could be post nasal drip, asthma or reflux. Yes, really, reflux. They are easily treated and you'll be far more comfy.

Do your pelvic floor exercises.

When you go in for your cs tell the anaesthetist about the cough. She can give you something to suppress it during the op. I didn't cough once during mine, despite having been up all the night before with the cough. Interestingly it never came back as bad once baby was born.

EstRusMum Wed 03-Dec-14 22:47:56

I'm worried about the same thing. My cough is so bad, it makes me vomit occasionally. I am 34+5 and had it for about 4 weeks now. It just doesn't go away. I'm wondering, how will they cut me when I'm coughing so badly each time I lie down?
I'm actually not very worried about the peeing thing. It's not that much to make my pants wet. And I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises right now.

ILiveOnABuildsite Wed 03-Dec-14 23:32:15

Normal but you might want to try pelvic floor exercises to prevent getting worst. You'll need them after you give birth too to prevent long term weakening of the pelvic floor. In the mean time try crossing your legs before coughing or sneezing, it helps. I'm in my second pregnancy and although I have had no issues in between pregnancies from about week 13 I had problems with leaking when running or sneezing. I've now resumed my pelvic floor exercises and I've had no issues in the past few weeks, I'm 20 weeks now. I hope that I will continue to be fine for the rest of pregnancy but I'm very strict with my pelvic floor exercises now.

fusspot66 Wed 03-Dec-14 23:35:25

Estresmum
Is there any chance you have whooping cough?
Or are you just gaggy with being pg?

doobeedee Thu 04-Dec-14 08:33:20

I had it towards the end of pregnancy. Was fine again after birth and that was even without many pelvic floor exercises as I'm rubbish at remembering them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now