Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby's head not engaged at 39+4, experiences

(10 Posts)
iamelectrogirl Wed 03-Dec-14 19:35:11

Hi, I'm 39+4 today with my first baby and he still really isn't engaged- yesterday my midwife said he was about 1/5 engaged and that was 'being generous'.
Has anybody else had this? I know that the baby should descend in labour if not before, but I'm not sure whether this means he'll be really overdue or not. I'm presuming it's related to his size (they're guessing he'll be 9-9.5 Ibs at 40 weeks) but I'm tall and sturdy so that shouldn't be a problem surely.
Thanks! smile

PetiteRaleuse Wed 03-Dec-14 19:36:28

Anything could happen. It could be a couple more weeks, or you might go into labour before midnight smile

SweetsForMySweet Wed 03-Dec-14 19:44:19

You could try bouncing on a birthing ball or walking (if it's not too uncomfortable. Both are meant to help get head engaged. Try not to worry, the weight is only an estimate so hopefully your baby may not be as big as they're saying.

StuntCodPiece Wed 03-Dec-14 19:54:26

I had midwife appointments on the same day I went into labour - both times - and neither of my dc were engaged. Both born within 24hrs of being told that though so don't lose hope!

StuntCodPiece Wed 03-Dec-14 19:55:31

Was also told ds was going to be 10lb. He was 7lb 2oz confused

NunoBettencourt Wed 03-Dec-14 20:01:06

I was well into labour with no head engaged at all nor at any time prior to that. Head only finally got there when my waters went at about 5cm. I was overdue but probably more likely to do with it being DC4.

iamelectrogirl Wed 03-Dec-14 20:01:09

Oh thank goodness, it won't necessarily be another two weeks then!
I'm constantly on the birthing ball or walking around, it feels achey when I'm upright but it doesn't seem to make any difference sad
Yeah, I'm guessing he'll be big (both of his parents are tall) but I really doubt he'll be as big as they're saying- probably 9 Ib at the very most, only time can tell though smile

Ihateparties Wed 03-Dec-14 20:01:49

None of my 3 have been engaged at all until they were literally on their way out, #1 wasn't engaged at all at 2am, born at twenty past 5. #1 was 40+6, #2 was on due date and #3 was 40+10. Midwife was quite twitchy by #3 because of the risk of cord prolapse, which wasn't even mentioned first or second time round.

BeginnerSAHM Wed 03-Dec-14 20:16:37

Likewise - with DC2, I saw the midwife the day before I had her. Not at all engaged. Went into labour just before 8 am the next day and she was born an hour later. Don't despair! (Childbirth/labour appears to me to be totally unpredictable despite encouraging, or not, signs... wink)

NaiceNickname Wed 03-Dec-14 20:36:25

Im 38+5 and had a growth scan on Monday and according to those notes he was 2/5 engaged.... but my midwife today said his head was floating way 'above the clouds' hmm was instructed to have lots of sex (ha!) drive over bumps (do the NHS pay for new car suspension?) and chew on pineapple cores, fuck that. 2nd baby so I'm not too worried, I know they don't have to be engaged to go into labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now