Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I was craving a prawn sandwich

(33 Posts)
tyla2014x Wed 03-Dec-14 15:20:46

and brought one and forgot your not allowed to eat prawns when pregnant??

HazleNutt Wed 03-Dec-14 15:23:33

It's fine to eat prawns when pregnant. As long as they are not raw, which would not be a case for a sandwich.

BitchPeas Wed 03-Dec-14 15:23:37

Prawns are fine.

Scroll down to shellfish in pregnancy.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

Eminybob Wed 03-Dec-14 15:25:00

Who says? you just can't eat raw shellfish when pregnant. I ate plenty of prawn sandwiches while pregnant (I had a bit of a craving for them) and nothing bad happened grin

laurenamium Wed 03-Dec-14 15:35:42

I craved prawn sandwiches for a bit grin they're fine I frantically googled while stuffing my face with one

Jackiebrambles Wed 03-Dec-14 15:35:54

I've eaten loads of prawns, you're fine to eat them!

Lunastarfish Wed 03-Dec-14 18:39:17

Prawns are the only protein source I can stomach at the moment with morning sickness, I've been devouring then!

Inpup Wed 03-Dec-14 18:56:24

You'll be fine, I've eaten loads they are one of my must haves at the moment.
I also ate a whole wedge of brie yesterday - still alive...

I'm rather hmm about all this 'you must not eat ... while up-duffed'.

Obviously one would not lick a cat shit or overdo the pink liver, but your chances of being infected by any nasty's are the same as when you are not pregnant, and we don't worry about it too much then.

Jodie1982 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:58:06

I'm ever so glad I came across this thread!
I'm buying a prawn Sarnie tomorrow. grin

bubalou Thu 04-Dec-14 10:59:11

I'm allergic to shellfish so not an issue for me but I absolutely adore pate and its on the can't eat list hmm

I miss it and there's so much of it about this time of year.

Also I love steak but only eat it medium - also not allowed. confused I'd rather not have it then the sacrilege of having it well done.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 04-Dec-14 11:01:28

I know it isn't meant literally, but with the case in the news today, I'd also just add that with anything it is 'not recommended' and not 'not allowed'.

laurenamium Thu 04-Dec-14 11:43:54

What's been in the news penguin?

Jackiebrambles Thu 04-Dec-14 11:55:46

This is the second time around for me so I'm a bit more lax if I'm honest.

I've definitely had a slightly pink steak and a runny egg blush

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 04-Dec-14 12:05:11

The case about foetal alcohol poisoning. Thankfully the Court of Appeal has ruled that there wasn't a criminal offence. But if they had gone the other way, all sorts of behaviours would be under the spotlight - like if you ate the 'wrong' thing after advice and contracted listeriosis which harmed your baby.

Don't get me wrong, those children should have way, way, way more support than they currently get. The provision for the weakest in our society is shameful. But the solution isn't to make addicts hide from antenatal care for fear of prosecution and to criminalise women.

<Sidetrack over>

Zahrah5 Thu 04-Dec-14 12:07:37

I have read actually that during pregnancy women is 30x times more inclided to get listeria infection as not-pregnant person just because the immune system is so weakened and while healthey person can fight it off, pregnant can't.
Also it can take week or 2 for symptomps to develop what makes it difficult to track to actual food.

Speaking of which, just 2 weeks ago I was eating some unprocessed goat cheese products.

But in general I am doing fairly good job of avoiding most of the questionable foods.

Regarding pre-made sandwiches I try to avoing all made with cold cuts and bacon or at least to have them not often but trully it is very confusing.

For prawn, would not these be made mostly with mayonnaise? Even if prawns are not the concern would not mayonnaise be?

Jackiebrambles Thu 04-Dec-14 12:15:10

Is mayo on the 'avoid' NHS list now?

I don't think Hellmans etc contains raw egg. I guess it would only be homemade mayo?

I'm sure I read some report about how many cases of listeria there had been in the UK over the last few years. It was about 20! I'll try to find it....

Foggymist Thu 04-Dec-14 12:18:52

Zahrah it's only homemade mayonnaise that is a risk factor, processed mayonnaise is fine.

This is the problem with all this stuff, people get a little bit of info (shellfish bad, mayo bad, soft cheese bad) and run with it, without realising why the food in question is "bad". Once things are pasteurised, which most of these things are especially when processed foods are being eaten, not homemade ones, they're fine, and things like shellfish that just need to be well cooked become foods to avoid completely.

Don't get me started on the whole peanut thing. Just eat the fecking peanuts! A friend of mine actually forbid me from eating prawn satay in her house, looked at me like I was actively trying to kill my baby by wanting some delicious dinner.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 04-Dec-14 12:19:14

Mayonnaise is fine.

Shop bought it officially fine.

Home made is unofficially fine in the UK as long as it's made with shop bought eggs.

Zahrah5 Thu 04-Dec-14 12:29:43

thanks guys

anyone has an insight on smoked salmon?

Foggymist Thu 04-Dec-14 12:33:14

Smoked salmon is fine, I just had some yesterday, it was delicious smile

Common sense goes a long way with these lists. And then the lists vary from country to country, so what's fine in one place is a big no no in another, it's ridiculous.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 04-Dec-14 12:33:28

nhs says:

Smoked fish, which includes smoked salmon and smoked trout, is considered safe to eat in pregnancy

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

WingsClipped Thu 04-Dec-14 13:11:03

The only thing I was a bit careful about when pregnant with DD was having my steak medium to well done instead of having it rare like I usually do. That has promptly gone out the window with this pregnancy. I've been eating steaks (rare like how I like themshock) every week to try and boost my iron intake, and have been scoffing seafood, smoked stuff, deli meats, runny eggs and sushi- most is allowed anyway... The only things im staying away from is pate and wine. But think I might have a sliver of pate during Christmas.
I have an iron stomach and normally never get ill with food and I know with my pregnancy you are more likely to get ill but I'll take my chances.

Foggymist Thu 04-Dec-14 13:26:52

I'm having some pate over Christmas. My mum makes the best pate in the world, and I doubt that one or two servings will push my iron levels that high, it'd be different if I wanted to sit and eat liver itself, pate has so much butter and other stuff...delicious stuff... :D

Boglin Thu 04-Dec-14 13:33:10

I don't think the risk from pate is because of the iron, because all pates are banned, including vegetarian ones. I thought it was to do with how it's made?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 04-Dec-14 13:36:04

Pate is listeria and vitamin A. Personally I would eat just - made homemade, but not liver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now