Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Frequent hiccups (baby's) at 32 weeks- worried?

(25 Posts)
joeschmoesmum Wed 03-Dec-14 05:29:26

My little one has been having frequent outs of hiccups. Not sure if they were happening before, but can def feel them regularly now. They happen once or twice a day and last more than ten minutes each time.

I read online that they can be associated with fetal hypoxia or cord accidents (mainly from US sites, but also two different medical papers). Being worried I spoke to my dr who reassured me. I also had routine (for where I am) NST, ultrasound and Doppler which measured blood flow (umbilical, cerebral and uterine) and all came back fine. I guess it is now time to not worry about it anymore?

Did your bubba have frequent hiccups and was ok? (Now looking for anecdotal evidence to be convinced... Anxious? Me?)

Thank you for your time

Minithemoocher Wed 03-Dec-14 05:35:41

My dd had hiccups at least twice a day and is completely fine. She does get hiccups a lot still though at 3 months.

Honeybear30 Wed 03-Dec-14 05:37:44

Wow I never googled this when pregnant and my baby had loads of hiccups! Honestly it drove me nuts my belly twitching like that. The only outcome I can advise is that your baby will also have lots of hiccups once here and it will still drive you mad because it'll most likely be after a feed causing them to throw it all back up smile other than that there is nothing to worry about that I'm aware of! Helpful tip is if baby does get stressed with the hiccups (they can hurt their tummies as they are so strong) offer a feed, it's like a drink and they magically go away.

joeschmoesmum Wed 03-Dec-14 05:40:54

Thank you for the very quick responses! Hiccups after birth I can certainly cope with (she says now) as long as he is born healthy... And yes, honeybear I even googled that... blush

Honeybear30 Wed 03-Dec-14 05:44:11

Don't worry I certainly googled all sorts but it just never occurred me to google hiccups smile enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, that little baby will be here before you know it like mine permanently glued to my boob at 5am smile

ToTheMoonAndStars Wed 03-Dec-14 05:45:05

Ditto what honey said.

My DS had hiccups all the time when I was pregnant. They lasted a ridiculously long time.

Now that he's here he still hiccups a lot, and they last up to 20 minutes!

PuppyMummy Wed 03-Dec-14 08:25:18

mine had hiccups all the time inside! then when he came out he had them all the time for ages!
he was fine!

eurochick Wed 03-Dec-14 08:27:00

In contrast, my baby only had hiccups a couple of times through the who pregnancy and I did have an issue with cord blood flow and my dopplers were not good!

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Dec-14 08:34:24

DD had the hiccups loads and after she was born she was a very hiccupy baby as well...she's 14, she's not hiccupy now, lol.

Elllimam Wed 03-Dec-14 08:34:36

Both of mine were quite hiccupy in utero I never thought to google it. They were both fine, 8lb 3 and 9lb 6 smile

joeschmoesmum Wed 03-Dec-14 09:31:28

Thanks for the reassurance. eurochick sorry to hear that. Did the Doppler show the cord issue? Was your little one ok?

shroomboom Wed 03-Dec-14 19:24:44

Both of mine had loads of hiccups too, they were/are fine. When I asked my doctor about it (I also googled blush) she said it was a good thing that they had lots of hiccups, and nothing at all to be worried about smile

KittyandTeal Wed 03-Dec-14 19:29:30

My dd had hiccups loads while I was pregnant. She's fine, although weirdly if she laughs too much she gets hiccups. It's quite cute and funny

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Wed 03-Dec-14 19:39:36

My dd had frequent hiccups before she was born and every day until she was over a year. She did have reflux but everything else was fine.

eurochick Thu 04-Dec-14 10:24:23

Yes the dopplers showed the cord issue and when the blood flow deteriorated to a certain level, they got her out by section. She was tiny and prem but is now doing well, thanks for asking. I'm sure your hiccupy little one will be absolutely fine.

divingoffthebalcony Thu 04-Dec-14 10:32:33

My DD was a chronic hiccupper in the womb, 24/7. I once counted eight bouts in a day. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and she'd be hiccuping. It was ENDLESS.

I Googled and found the references to cord problems like you mentioned. I worked in a medical library at the time and dug out the actual articles. They're old articles and there doesn't seem to be any recent research that suggests a genuine link. Mentioned it to my midwife who had never heard of such a thing.

DD was born and was fine, just very hiccupy. At 3.2 she's pretty much grown out of it.

Tzibeleh Thu 04-Dec-14 10:44:10

Interesting. I had no idea of any connection.

Dc1 hiccuped a lot in the last month of pregnancy, and was born with the cord so tightly twisted around her neck that it had to be cut before I could deliver her body. Her APGAR at birth was 9, and 10 within a few minutes, so obviously not any issue. She continued having bouts of hiccups for a few months, but had no reflux, and she has always been fine in every way.

Subsequent dc had the occasional in-utero hiccups, uncomplicated births, APGARs of 9-10, and reflux. Boy oh boy, reflux. If they got hiccups, I got a bucket.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:37:08

mine had them all the time, both on the inside and on the outside. She seemed to outgrow then after about 6 months.

joeschmoesmum Thu 04-Dec-14 16:53:48

Again thank you all for the reassurance - I hate to get worried every time bubba starts hiccuping (about twice a day it seems).

eurochick glad to hear your little one was fine! despite the cord problem. It's always nice to hear of a preemie that does well and flourishes!

divingoffthebalcony thanks for the reassurance from the medical literature. I also have access to journals etc and was finding it hard to find an actual recent paper linking.

Finally thank you all for taking the time to write and wish me and my little one well. After three losses (albeit much earlier) I am dreaming of holding this little hiccupy one in my arms in about 7 weeks smile

TheBooMonster Thu 04-Dec-14 20:44:02

my DD had hiccups during pregnancy, she suffered IUGR but no connection was ever indicated between the two things and I brought it up with the midwife and consultant at every appointment. She still gets hiccups more regularly than the rest of us and she's now 2, doesn't seem to do her any harm though, it's just a sign of an immature diaphragm I think.

FatimaLovesBread Thu 04-Dec-14 20:47:18

DD had hiccups a ridiculous amount, at least twice a day sometimes up to ten times. She even had hiccups when I was fully dialated and ready to push, that felt bloody weird. All is fine.
She now gets hiccups whenever she giggles too much

joeschmoesmum Fri 05-Dec-14 09:43:50

Well, we have reached a new high with 5 times a day yesterday. But so far so good and all your experiences really help me stay sane. Thank you!

WhatWouldFlopDo Fri 05-Dec-14 09:47:20

DD got the hiccups all the time, she's nearly 3 now and still hiccups when she laughs too much.

yorkiebilb Fri 05-Dec-14 10:23:14

My little one had hiccups sometimes up to five times a day in the womb. I googled and got paranoid about cord issues as well. He was born without any cord problems and is just a very hiccupy baby outside the womb as well (nearly 4 weeks old now). I won't tell you not to google as I ignored everyone that told me that wink just wanted to post a reassuring message as they helped me when I was freaking out!

Jodie1982 Fri 05-Dec-14 10:23:41

My little fella is hiccuping away right now in my tummy, it's getting annoying now as it's been for about 10mins, poor little mite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now