Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vitamin D and whooping cough jab?

(22 Posts)
honeydue3 Tue 02-Dec-14 22:04:16

I'm 28 weeks and just today my midwife tells me that I should be taking vitamin D throughout my pregnancy! I took pregnancare (which contained folic acid) upto 12 weeks and I thought that was all I needed! She also said I looked pale and may benefit from iron vitamins and that I should look for a pregnancy iron and vitamin D supplement! Now I'm panicking should I run out and buy some and have I missed out as I'm already in the 3rd trimester! She also mentioned the flu jab which I new about and the whooping cough jab! I Thought the baby was given the whooping cough jab after it was born its news to me that I need to have it whilst pregnant also! I have had 2 previous pregnancies and the only thing I was supposed to take was folic acid! Is it necessary to dose up on so much nowadays? Is everyone taking extra vitamins and having all the jabs? Will my baby suffer if I don't? So confused right now!

stripycreature Tue 02-Dec-14 23:37:23

I'm a little over 34 weeks, and no one has mentioned taking iron or vitamin d supplements!
(I have taken pregnacare all through the pregnancy though, as I've been unable to eat as healthily as I'd have liked)

I thought they could tell from blood tests whether you were anaemic, and therefore needed iron supplements? That's just what I've been presuming, anyway.

The whooping cough jab you can have will protect your baby for a while until he/she has their own vaccinations. It's up to you if you have it, but I think it's a good idea.
It was fine, except I had a huge itchy and annoying lump on my arm for ages.

EstRusMum Wed 03-Dec-14 00:08:49

I took folic acid and was put on vitamin D as well by my GP. Then I went over to pregnacare, took it for 2 months and now I don't take anything. Flu jab was offered to me via text from my surgery and I took it as it's just some additional thing to stay healthy. Whooping cough jab is for baby not get ill before 2 months old - it is very dangerous and I'm glad I could get it.
Flu jab - not very painful, just uncomfortable. Later had pain in my shoulder/arm for about 4-5 days. Done at any time throughout the pregnance.
Whooping cough vaccine - hurts like a motherfucker you wouldn't believe, later felt light pain for about 3 days. I believe you can have it until 38 weeks, so if you want to, you can get it.

Roonerspism Wed 03-Dec-14 00:12:22

The vit D thing is weird. We are also meant to give our kids Vit D drops.

Who knew?

It's the best kept secret health advice!

I have taken Vit D this pregnancy but didnt last pregnancy.

The whooping cough jab is to give some antibodies to baby for after they are born, apparently. I had no side effects apart from a slightly sore arm!

cheesecakemom Wed 03-Dec-14 00:16:03

I take pregnacare + extra folic acid + iron + vit D. I had extremely low vit d after last pregnancy so I've been advised to continue taking it.

My iron is always low - pregnacare wasn't enough. And apparently due to slightly high BMI I should have been taking folic acid on prescription anyway ..

I wouldn't panic - just take them as soon as you buy them.

Roonerspism Wed 03-Dec-14 00:18:06

Oh - I can really recommend Floradix as an iron source.

The prescribed iron tablets make me feel awful and didnt raise my iron levels much either. I'm on double dose floradix and have staved off anaemia this pregnancy.

JRWREN2110 Wed 03-Dec-14 08:49:28

I would say the vitamins aren't a bad thing to take, they won't do any harm and might make you feel better without you realising you needed to.

I am really unsure about the whooping cough jab, think it is one of their things they test out for a bit. I am opting out of it, my mum had whooping cough as a child and when I was born I had the jab and it made me really ill-they later thought I had the immunity from my mum, so I don't think I will be risking it!

Zahrah5 Wed 03-Dec-14 09:58:06

Hi

vast majority of todays population suffers from vitamin D deficiency, especially in countries getting less sunshine. It is related also to indorrs lifestyle and general advice to keep away from sun. Vit D is related to some neuro birth defects and soft bones disease called rickets in newborns.

So generally it is good to take some sort of vit D supplement pregnant or not pregnant because there is good chance you are deficient.

I was diagnosed with very severe deficiency while living in US where this is part of your regular annual check-up and I am taking very strong supplement for about a year now.

My midwife told me it is not a UK practice to test pg women for Vit D so I guess if she told you to take supplement she just assumes, but she does not have any specific blood results on hand.

You did what you could do at that time, Pregnacare countains recommended daily quantities of Vit D, but migh not be enough, depending on the deficiency level. You can go and buy separate supplement, I recommend to but Vit D soluted in some sort of oil, because it needs fats for absorbtion and always take it with meal. You can also combine with calcium because it improves absorbtion.

You can also try to stay outside on sun with uncovered skin, supposedly 10 min should be enough to boost your levels, but this never worked for me.

LittlePeasMummy1 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:10:21

Hi,

I think the guidelines about vit D throughout are fairly new. If I were you, i'd just restart pregnancare as it contains the recomended daily vitamin D dose. Personally, unless you have been tested and found to be deficient, i wouldn't go any higher than this during pregnancy.

Here are some patient info leaflets on use of the flu and whooping cough vaccines in pregnancy, including why they are advised. Hope this helps

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Flu-vaccine/

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/whooping-cough-vaccine/

Roonerspism Wed 03-Dec-14 15:52:52

I really don't think the amount of Vit D in pregnacare is enough.

Do your own research but there is a lot out there linking low vit D to a load of issues. I don't burn easily and get lots of sun in the summer but take 3000 iu (ie way more than the amount in pregnacare) from October to March.

Pandora37 Wed 03-Dec-14 16:14:14

The vitamin D supplements is a fairly new thing, I believe it's because there's been a rise in rickets. I wouldn't worry too much that you've missed out, rickets still isn't that common as long as you take it from now on.

As for the whooping cough jab, it's because a couple of years ago there was an outbreak in babies before they were able to have their own jabs and some died. It was originally intended as a short-term trial to see if giving extra immunity to mums worked. I'm assuming as pregnant women are still recommended to have it that it must be working. The baby will have its own jab at 8 weeks but the idea is that the antibodies that you will get crosses the placenta to the baby so it has some protection.

As for the iron, I'm assuming you had your blood taken to test for it? That should tell you your exact levels but most women do lose quite a bit of iron as the baby starts using your stores from now so I don't think taking a supplement would hurt.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 03-Dec-14 16:30:08

My DC range from 20-4 yo, and I remember taking Vit D during all the pregnancies, so the advice is not that new!

Also, for my eldest DC, abidec drops from birth were recommended, and given out free by HV to everyone who wanted them... For my youngest, the drops are still recommended but you have to pay (maybe this depends on area/income).

I live in Scotland where there is even less sun, but this is a big problem over the whole of the UK and north Europe- especially with the current obsession for avoiding sun exposure.

"Vitamin" D3 is something pretty much everyone should be taking, all year round IMO.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 03-Dec-14 16:38:58

I'd say 3000-5000iu a day for and adult but make sure it's D3 as some cheaper supplements still use D2 which isn't very well absorbed.

Rickets is one issue, and it seems to be the one people are most aware of, but lack of sunlight/vit D causes a huge number of health problems including fertility issues, pregnancy loss and higher levels of death in babies and young children. You might say humans are not designed to live this far North... Suncream and sun avoidance, and a reduction in oily fish eating have made matters worse!

BanglesSpangles Wed 03-Dec-14 17:59:33

I completely agree with you, op, on the 'let's take millions of supplements' thing seeming a bit mad, and i just took folic acid for the first trimester. My mw recommend a vit d supplement, which i brushed off, thinking 'its July, how can i be deficient?'

Anyway, i then found out that the suns not strong enough to give enough vit d in the UK through autumn and winter, and my immune system was apparently on strike as i was getting every cold going so i decided to take the extra help!

I'm still a bit annoyed that my body seemingly can't just cope with 'just' the vits from a normal healthy diet, though!

figginz Wed 03-Dec-14 18:28:53

I was a bit blasé about vit D like the pp, as I spent all spring and summer outside. But pregnancy guilt hit late summer and I've been taking since. Took folic acid to 16 weeks as that's what my muppet midwife told me I should at booking in. The other thing she was quite forceful about was Omega 3. Again I ignored until pg guilt hit. I've found it helps constipation! Who knew?!

Had both whooping cough and flu jabs. At same time. Barely noticed them. One arm slightly sore for couple of hours.

LittlePeasMummy1 Wed 03-Dec-14 21:07:20

There can be problems with taking very high doses of vitamin D in pregnancy which is why I think its best to stick to the guidelines unless a deficiency has been diagnosed by a doctor. For more info see the link below

www.uktis.org/docs/Vitamin%20D.pdf

Shantotto Thu 04-Dec-14 08:57:20

Sorry, going to hijack this thread! Almost 5 wks and when I called the midwife for A referral she told me to supplement vit D. I told her I was taking pregnacare but said I still needed more and to talk to a pharmacist. So I did, but he seemed terribly confused and the best advice he could give me was to stop with the pregnacare and just take the vit d supplement!

Any advice on how much more to take?

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 04-Dec-14 09:59:46

Guidelines say 10 mcg/day, this is the daily dose in Pregnacare.

These are the guidelines that relate to pregnancy:

Recommendations
All UK Health Departments recommend:
� All pregnant and breastfeeding women should take a daily supplement containing 10μg of vitamin D, to ensure the mother�s requirements for vitamin D are met and to build adequate fetal stores for early infancy.
� All infants and young children aged 6 months to 5 years should take a daily supplement containing vitamin D in the form of vitamin drops, to help them meet the requirement set for this age group of 7-8.5 micrograms of vitamin D per day. However, those infants who are fed infant formula will not need vitamin drops until they are receiving less than 500ml of infant formula a day, as these products are fortified with vitamin D. Breastfed infants may need to receive drops containing vitamin D from one month of age if their mother has not taken vitamin D supplements throughout pregnancy.

LittlePeasMummy1 Thu 04-Dec-14 11:26:59

Not sure what happened above, '10μg' should read '10 ucg'

Chunderella Thu 04-Dec-14 13:48:28

It's not too late to get the flub jab and start on the Vitamin D now. You have almost a whole trimester left!

The vit D issue is very interesting. In my last pregnancy, which was 2011-12, I raised it with the midwife before she said anything, and I was told that deficiency can be a particular concern for women whose first trimester was in winter. As mine was last time. If you're 28 weeks now, you got pregnant in June so yours will have been over summer. I never researched this further, just took the Vitamin D as it was something I'd wanted to do anyway, but I hope it reassures you. And the flu jab isn't usually available til winter anyway, so even if you'd tried to get it at the earliest opportunity you'd probably only have had it for five weeks tops, by this point. Which is more than a lot of pregnant women do, and more than I actually got round to with first pregnancy. So I wouldn't worry. Best thing to do is get the tablets and arrange a flu jab asap.

Babiecakes11 Thu 04-Dec-14 14:20:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkyAndTheBump Thu 04-Dec-14 21:37:48

I've been taking my 3 Eskimo Oil Omega3 + Pregnacare since Day1 (now 30w).

I was advised to take megadoses of VitD prior to conception (10 000iu), and I keep it topped up with Salmon at least once a week. It's got a 28d half-life apparently!!

Yes the Whooping Cough jab really hurts - I found out that's because it's actually Whopping Cough, Diptheria, Polio & TETANUS!! Wish I had remembered how much that one hurts!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now