Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

UCH or Whittington Hospital?

(3 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Tue 02-Dec-14 17:50:31

I'm 5wks+3 and have been asked what hospital I would like to choose for maternity care. Although I've heard lots of good things in general about both hospitals, I've heard some negative about Whittington Hospital.

I'm more concerned on the maternity care at the hospitals.

Practicality wise Whittington Hospital is 7mins away from me, so all appointments & if I was to go into labour it's around the corner. But as for UCH it's about 26mins. So not to sure when I go in to labour if its going to be a real mission getting there especially if its Peak time ��

Would love your reviews on maternity care at these hospitals please

Thank you in advance xx

minipie Tue 02-Dec-14 17:59:09

I don't know much about Whittington but UCH antenatal care is top notch afaik (eg they do a late scan for everyone).

26 minutes isn't bad. I'd go with UCH. Unless you have a history (or family history if it's your first) of very quick labours.

ItsAlwaysBetterOnHoliday Tue 02-Dec-14 18:04:38

Hi,

Gave birth at the Whittington in July 2014 - I felt well taken care of both throughout the pregnancy and during the labour. Had to go to triage for a couple of minor things in pregnancy and midwives were caring and professional. I was lucky enough that things worked out so that I could give birth in the birth centre and stay in the same private room overnight with my husband and son. My NCT group was split fairly evenly between UCH and Whittington, I don't recall any horror stories although those who ended up on post-natal wards at both hospitals weren't particularly enamoured of them!

If you're planning to go to the birth centre at the Whittington I recommend asking your midwife about the active labour workshop they do - I thought it was really good preparation for understanding what would happen on the day, the reasons they may transfer you to labour ward and some good pain coping techniques.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now