Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in appointment for second baby

(7 Posts)
NickyEds Tue 02-Dec-14 16:01:02

I'm in the very early stages (6/7weeks) pregnancy and very excited but sick. I vaguely remember that the booking appointment with DS took absolutely ages whilst they went through lots of questions etc. Does it take that long the second time around??
I really don't have anyone I can leave ds with and don't want to make OH take a day off if I don't have to, so might have to take DS with me. Is taking an 11 month old to a booking in appointment a really stupid idea??

slightlyinsane Tue 02-Dec-14 16:08:54

Unfortunately they take ages no matter how many you've had. Apart from my 1st I've always had to take a child with me. Just take snacks and toys the mw will understand. Congrats x

GailLondon Tue 02-Dec-14 16:11:31

Congratulations!
I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and my booking in appointments for numbers 2 and 3 were just as long as the first one! They took a good 45mins.
Plenty of women take the children along to midwife appointments because they have no other choice, so I think the midwife will be totally used to it. It might not be a whole load of fun but as you say, seems a shame to make your husband waste a days annual leave for one appointment!
How is your DS? Is he able to be distracted with cbeebies on your phone, or if you're very lucky could you time it around naptime and see if you can get him to sleep in a car seat that you take in with you?

Cobo Tue 02-Dec-14 18:32:54

I've taken my 3 year old to most appointments so far, I'm sure they're completely used to it. There are always toys in the room at our doctor's.

NickyEds Tue 02-Dec-14 19:15:16

Thanks! I was rather hoping you'd say that it only took 10 minutes second time around! DS is very...erm....lively. I predict a nightmare but I just really don't want to waste a days holiday on it. I was very surprised how many partners had come along when I was waiting for appointments last time as it seemed a waste then.
Good idea with cBeebies on the phone-I'm a bit afraid that the mw will judge me if I go armed with TV and <whisper it> chocolate buttons.

FishWithABicycle Tue 02-Dec-14 19:19:57

I think an 11 mo will be fine, given plenty of toys and distractions. The mw will be used to it. I wouldn't take an older child who would understand what mummy was talking about, but an 11mo isn't going to be able to tell the difference between this and any other time you sit and chat with another grownup. Mw is not going to judge you for tv and chocolate buttons

waceystills Tue 02-Dec-14 19:41:24

Worth mentioning that dads are entitled to reasonable paid time off for antenatal appointments since 1st October.

He doesn't have to take annual leave if you do want him to come, even if it is to distract your DS during an appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now