Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Giving birth in the bath??

(11 Posts)
flopsybunny45 Tue 02-Dec-14 12:30:12

Just wondering if anyone has successfully given birth in their bath, instead the more typical birthing pool?

We are keen for a home birth and I loved being in the bath during my last labour. However, our house is not suitable for a birth pool. The midwives say it would be fine to labour in the bath and even deliver, but I am worried it would not be deep enough. So would love to hear of any bath birth adventures!

Thanks

blackwidow74 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:22:00

The only issue I can see with bath is maintaining heat in the water ... but not knowing too much about how the pools work I don't know how or if the bath can be easily utilised ... as far as I know depth wouldn't be an issue but the heat and accessibility smile

RoseberryTopping Tue 02-Dec-14 18:26:27

I gave birth in the bath at hospital, it was a nice corner bath though. As long as the midwife has access to be able to get to you easily then I can't see why it would be a problem. You could make sure the heat stays at the right temp for you by having a big jug nearby and have your birthing partner empty out enough to be topped up with hot again.

flopsybunny45 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:48:56

Thanks guys... we do have a corner bath that looks almost identical to our birthing centre baths - but just cannot be certain it is as deep...

RoseberryTopping Tue 02-Dec-14 19:47:04

It doesn't have to be really deep. I just kind of layed on my side in it with the water as full as it would go. As long as my bump was covered I was fine.
I'm sure it will be fine, especially if the midwife has reassured you it will be. Good luck!

Bumpedbonce Tue 02-Dec-14 19:50:48

I gave birth in the bath at home, unintentionally, was planning on having her on the bed but then I hit transition and decided I was getting in the bath regardless

confusedalways Tue 02-Dec-14 20:00:51

I was born in the bath at home, not purposely but found it very amusing when I was a kid to tell everyone. Way more interesting than everybody's hospital stories. Though I did have a friend who was actually born in a barn. grin

Gunpowder Tue 02-Dec-14 22:10:49

In the Sheila Kitzinger home birth book she recommends plugging the overflow with a flannel (I think) so that you have a higher water level.

Gunpowder Tue 02-Dec-14 22:11:19

confused grin

catbus Tue 02-Dec-14 23:22:00

My second HB was in the bath. Was only in there to relax and had the urge to stand up and point to my bits in a 'ffs look MW, baby is coming NOW' fashion.
Husband caught DD2 as she flew towards the bath taps grin
Fwiw, our homes have never been suitable for a birth pool, but I've laboured in the bath at various points with all 4 HBs smile

flopsybunny45 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:21:26

Aw - thanks guys - these are the stories I was really hoping to hear :-)
Feeling full of baby optimism!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now