Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First midwife appointment - what to expect?

(8 Posts)
supersupersupershock Tue 02-Dec-14 06:59:26

Just that really... what happens smile

AnythingNotEverything Tue 02-Dec-14 07:02:54

Los if form filling, taking of family history, and bloods.

It's not very exciting, I'm afraid.

You'll get a load of leaflets and your maternity notes and you'll be advised to book in for a flu jab (perfectly safe, none live vaccine).

Congratulations!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 02-Dec-14 07:03:06

*lots of

supersupersupershock Tue 02-Dec-14 08:28:46

Thanks smile

Having read someone else's post I am worried about getting a lecture on a mis-spent youth... which at age 42 I am not really prepared to listen to!

Teeste Tue 02-Dec-14 08:47:10

At my booking appointment, I had to provide urine and blood samples and be weighed, the midwife bombarded me with loads of information about things I can't now remember, you go through the first 10 or so pages of your notes ticking boxes. She works out your risk factors, books your dating scan, answers questions and chats about birth plans and hospital policies etc. You'll get the whole official spiel, information on tests and scans, phone numbers, websites, all that smile

My midwife was brill - she looked so sheepish giving me the party line about being overweight, as she herself was and managed to produce a perfectly healthy baby 5 years ago!

EstRusMum Tue 02-Dec-14 09:22:24

All of the above, but one particular question still stands out for me - what are your feelings towards this pregnancy? Answered "happy", obviously. But it was bizarre. Also had conversation about first child and previous pregnancy/section. Most of my leaflets went straight to the bin.

SeattleGraceMercyDeath Tue 02-Dec-14 09:26:50

EstRus, I don't think that's a bizarre question at all, not everyone finds a pregnancy a happy event.

Teeste Tue 02-Dec-14 09:37:42

EstRus the midwife told me that question was because mental health issues are a big concern for pregnant women, what with all the different kinds of depression you can get and the consequences of that. They're just trying to make sure you're OK, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now