Talk

Advanced search

I have my first consultant appointment today.....

(6 Posts)
skyra13 Tue 02-Dec-14 06:53:35

Could anyone tell me what they do at these appointments? I have to go due to BMI of over 30 I am now 22 weeks + 2. No one had really explained to me what will happen so just wondering if you could give me some advise.
Thanks smile

VivaLeBeaver Tue 02-Dec-14 06:56:42

They'll advise you to have a hospital birth, advise you to eat healthily.

Depending how big your bmi is tell you possibly that its advised that the baby's heartbeat is continuously monitored in labour, maybe refer you to an anaesthetist.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 02-Dec-14 06:57:22

They also may want you to have extra scans in the third trimester so growth can be accurately checked.

Quinandthem Tue 02-Dec-14 07:00:20

My bmi was 30 so had to see consultant.

She just went through a checklist of potential risks at different bmi.

One of the things I remember was having to have the diabetes test and also about the injection for the placenta to be delivered.

Had a normal pregnancy and delivery so bmi didn't effect anything for me.

Although you might want to check about water births as I've heard different areas have different rules on that.

Can't remember much more as dd is now 16m.

Good luck

skyra13 Tue 02-Dec-14 07:17:44

Thanks all now I kind of know what to expect from it today smile

Chatty987 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:14:45

This might sound a bit excessive but I take a note pad and pen when I go to see the consultant.

I write down questions I want to ask whilst waiting in the waiting room or before.

I also note down the advice the consultant gives. Sometimes I find consultants can talk quite fast/can appear to be in a hurry (it's the NHS, they don't have time to chat all day after all) so I find it helpful to make notes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now