Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fluoxetine !!! Thoughts/Experiences please

(4 Posts)
Lizzy86 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:06:20

I am 18 weeks and have been diagnosed with prenatal depression.
Consultant prescribed me with 20mg fluoxetine. I've read the label myself tonight and am undecided what to do . The risks of baby having heart defect are higher etc
hmm

Has anyone taken this AD whilst carrying? Breast feeding?

I need some reassurance

hlc123 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:44:36

I was prescribed it during the second trimester with both previous pregnancies. Both babies were slightly jittery for the first 24 hours after they were born but apart from that there was no ill effects (my daughter is now almost 8 and my son is 2 1/2). Hope you feel better soon

MyGhostIsFlummoxed Mon 01-Dec-14 22:05:09

I was on this throughout both of my pregnancies & have 2 healthy boys. I was told it was ok for breast feeding but unfortunately I developed severe PND & had to have my dose increased to an unsafe level, but in theory you should be able to BF if you choose to.
With DS1 I had extra growth scans but didn't have them with DS2.

LittlePeasMummy1 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:22:40

Hello, because pretty much all of a baby's development occurs during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, medicines do not generally cause heart defects after this stage. Here is a patient information leaflet about use of fluoxetine in pregnancy which will hopefully help you to make an informed choice. Hope it is helpful

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Fluoxetine/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now