Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant, work and cycling

(12 Posts)
Shasha123 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:30:56

I am 5-6 weeks pregnant and I am full-time head waitress in a restaurant which means I have to do at least 8 hours standing job. Also, I cycle 8 miles every Monday to Friday on a road bike to work. I have got backache and sometimes I also feel dizzy at work but haven't been a major problem. But when would be the time to stop these things, or even would I have to stop working or cycling at all? I don't like my job that much so I wouldn't mind leaving soon but I want to do as much as I can to save some money. I really like cycling I feel like my bike is part of my body so I don't want to stop it. Any advice please?

Pointlessfan Mon 01-Dec-14 12:34:26

I wouldn't have risked cycling on a road at all when pregnant but I'm wobbly on a bike at the best of times!
I think waitressing when pregnant will be hard. Is there another role you could do temporarily eg. Taking bookings, showing people to their tables but with a chair to sit down in between? Or would you be able to do shorter shifts?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 01-Dec-14 13:16:03

You can cycle as long as you feel ok. If you start to feel I'll or exhausted then that's the time to cut back a bit. A friend of mine waitressed until 39 weeks with all 3 of her babies, I personally think she is insane smile.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 01-Dec-14 13:18:08

ill, not I'll

caker Mon 01-Dec-14 13:22:30

I cycled 5 miles a day until about 35 weeks, when the weather became bad to risk it. I got a smaller framed bike so I could touch the floor with both feet flat, so I felt safer. I had SPD but it was worse walking than cycling.

MsInterpret Mon 01-Dec-14 13:24:22

I cycled til past my due date. Every day to work til 37 weeks then pooling around after that. If you cycle every day you get used to the change in your size/weight/balance gradually.

Started taking a bit longer once I was bigger but I think it was a really good way to stay fit. Of course there were some days I couldn't face it but they re few and far between. Good luck!

Also I'm a teacher so similar standing up all day issues tho no quite as hectic as a restaurant !

mrsfazruns Mon 01-Dec-14 14:04:12

I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse and planning on staying at work till 36ish weeks .... Means longer off with the baby!! Also run a lot and planning to keep this up as long as poss! Just listen to your body .... It will tell tou when to stop x

MissWing Mon 01-Dec-14 15:12:57

Hi OP

I cycle lots. In my first pregnancy I wobbled into a parked car at 6 weeks. I mentioned it to GP and she said that my blood pressure was a little low so best to stay off the bike.

All the best.

Christelle2207 Mon 01-Dec-14 16:14:59

I had pgp and could barely walk any distance beyond about 25 weeks. However I cycled and swam till past my due date. I got funny looks but am told this is perfectly normal in Holland!

Guyropes Mon 01-Dec-14 20:51:58

Great to hear all the positive stories about cycling in pregnancy. Very encouraging. Thanks everyone!

NorthernLAS Tue 02-Dec-14 07:49:34

I used my road bike until about 20 weeks on a turbo trainer, but had spd so physio advised me to stop. It was also getting quite uncomfortable as my bump was getting in the way. You might find a more upright bike lets you ride for longer. I was a bit uneasy about having feet clipped in on the road.

Minstrelle Tue 02-Dec-14 10:08:55

I am about 21 weeks and still cycling on the road. My bump isn't that big so doesn't really get in the way yet, although my shorts are starting to look a bit tight! I've always cycled so it would feel weird for me not to, and I think the general advice is that, provided you feel well and ok, if you've been doing something (activity) before, then continue to do it, just be aware of how you feel and adjust accordingly.

The main thing I've noticed is that, on my road bike, the position can sometimes make me need a wee (tmi?!) and that I have to make sure I shift position a bit more so I don't get too stiff. I'm also a bit slower on the downhills but that's mostly cos it's wet and I really don't fancy road rash at the mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now