Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

My jaw keeps clicking...

(4 Posts)
Daleybump Sun 30-Nov-14 23:03:57

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and my jaw clicks every time I put my teeth together. It's really painful! Had a quick google and it seems others have experienced this too... is there any way to stop it?

ReadyForDinner Mon 01-Dec-14 03:16:38

I have had this for years, completely unrelated to pregnancy though. Tempromandibular joint dysfunction or tmj. Saw a chiropractor for it some years ago and was helpful but mostly just put up with it. Apparently caused by grinding your teeth, dentists recommend a mouth guard, or trauma to the jaw like getting punched. Neither of these are relevant to me. My mum has it too, when she was younger she was told it was known as revolutionaries jaw grin

LIG1979 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:57:58

I had this badly in the first few months and also had a real aching in my jaw. I read somewhere that magnesium deficiency caused it and realised that I normally ate a lot of it but the all day nausea had caused me to eat magnesium free crap. I took a magnesium supplement and started eating nuts for a few days and it really helped. Now I am eating normally again it has gone. Lots of nuts, pulses and green vegetables have magnesium and so does chocolate.

Number3cometome Mon 01-Dec-14 09:44:51

I get this - I am absolutely paranoid my jaw will get locked open!

It is always worse if I lay on my right side - like if I fall asleep on my partner, I wake up with a jaw cramp, it hurts so bad to open and close my mouth.

I find laying on my back helps.

I do not grind my teeth, but I do tend to grip my teeth together when stressed.

I hate it! It worries me, but I think the more I worry, the more I clench my jaw x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now