Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best double buggy for 2.5 yr old and new born?

(8 Posts)
3rdbump Sun 30-Nov-14 12:56:49

When the baby arrives in may by son will be 2.5 yrs old. Normally i would say buggy board but i will want to be shopping on the odd occasion with both of them and i know he will want to get off and run about! so he needs a restraint also when i take them out for walks etc.
I don't have a massive budget but i need the following:
Want a push chair type (like my mcclaren buggy) which is sturdy and light weight and also isnt huge!
A travel system isnt a big need but i suppose it would be useful for transporting the baby to and from the car?
Any suggestions?
Budget is £300 max

BeginnerSAHM Sun 30-Nov-14 15:05:35

I loved the out n about nipper. We have a 16 month age gap. And it was sturdy, light, easy to turn and easy to get up and down kerbs (unlike the Phil n Teds). Good shopping basket too. Just not great on buses as they are side by side (but not too wide - they can get through nearly all doors). Not sure how much they are new now but they used to be about that.

BlinkAndMiss Sun 30-Nov-14 15:34:15

I'm in a similar position, I think I'm just going to get a carrier for the baby for situations like this and keep the toddler in the pushchair. My toddler will be 2.7 when our baby arrives in June.

At the moment I'm not completely comfortable with this but DS is becoming more and more independent so we are practicing walking without the pushchair as a safety net. I'm convinced that as soon as we buy a double he'll decide to walk nicely and comply. I can see me only using it once or twice. However, if, when the time comes, DS is still needing to nap in the day and still unpredictable on the scale he is at the moment then I was thinking about the Babyjogger City double. It's a side by side but suitable from birth but quite light. The Maclearen XT comes in a double too and it suitable from newborn but I found our single difficult to steer so I'm not sure it would be suitable.

BeginnerSAHM Sun 30-Nov-14 16:56:38

Double maclarens are heavy to push and difficult to steer - you're right!! We had one (as part of a nanny share...)

mammycampbell Sun 30-Nov-14 23:05:31

will be in exactly the same situation OP, in about 17 days hopefully grin so watching with interest...

i have been given a second hand one of These MyChild Sienta Duos which incredibly fits in my tiny (toyota Yaris) boot

but also have my eye on The Joovy Caboose as they look like a good balance between being compact and comfy

literally everyone else i know in this situation (in London) has a phil & teds or a city jogger, so i am waiting for the moment when i clearly see the error of my ways and scour ebay for one of those (mat pay doesn't really stretch to a new one!!)

all the best
X

joeschmoesmum Mon 01-Dec-14 18:06:12

I have a 16 month old and due in Jan with our second. We have a phil and teds sport jogger, bought second hand through gum tree and really, really like it. Great for running, super for walking and small enough to fit in car and go to shops with. Has newborn attachment too.

We had it for a while and using it as a single, then watched this video and fell in love with all that it can do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5swx9QQf2s

Only problem is the frequent flat tyres, but my handy husband has replaced them with kiddy bike tyres which seems to have fixed the problem... (Also MUCH cheaper than buying the phil and teds tyres)

JammyGeorge Mon 01-Dec-14 18:29:53

I had a 2yr 7 month gap and I got a 2nd hand Phil & Ted. Seriously the best money I've ever spent.

I used it loads more than I thought I would and it was very handy on the bus and in shops. If I didn't have it to contain ds1 I wouldn't of left the house.

I still use it now (2&4) if we are on a long day out or got lots of stuff, beach etc as it's just like a normal pushchair but with storage!

It's been an absolute god send, although it is quite heavy and big.

trilbydoll Mon 01-Dec-14 20:16:40

We went double buggy shopping at the weekend. DD is 18mo at the moment and on the small side, despite this she was bursting out of a few seats and completely unbalanced the mountain buggy due to the weight being on one side. So even if you are planning to buy second hand, go to a shop and try some out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now